Traditions PA Pellet & T/C Firestorm - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Traditions PA Pellet & T/C Firestorm

I've learned alot from this forum so far, so this is my return investment. I hope this turns into a fun and very informative discussion chain, for both old timers and newbies, because I'm kinda baffled by it all. Here it goes...

Originally bought a Traditions PA Pellet two years ago, shot it in and found the sweet spot to be 70 grns 3F American Pioneer with 245 Aerotip Powerbelt (harvested a doe last christmas with it). 1-3 inch groups at 50 yds, depending on how I was shooting that day. Wasn't a big fan of the plastic sights, so...

I upgraded, in theory and price, to a T/C Firestorm this summer. I've shot every combination of 245 and 295 Powerbelts (Hollow and Aerotip) with 2F and 3F American Pioneer and Triple 7 with 70, 80, 90, 100 grains of powder. I've also tried said powder combinations with T/C 270 and 350 gr Maxi-Hunters. I can't get below a 6 inch plus group to save my life, with any combination! Might have something to do with the heavy trigger pull, but I'm not sure. So...

I found a new Traditions PA Pellet with Williams metal sights from Cabela's. Snatched it up and shot it in today. 80 grains of 2F Triple 7 with 245 gr Hollow or Aerotip Powerbelts and I got a an incredible group, that is repeatable, which I didn't think was possible with a flintlock. 295's shot just as well, but it didn't like a clean bore for some reason.

I used the exact same cleaning/loading routine today on both guns: 1) T/C bore cleaner wet patch, one pass (up and down), 2) two passes with a dry patch (a clean one each time), 3) add powder, 4) stuff bullet against powder and tap 3 times, 5) prime the pan with GOEX 4F, 6) fire, and repeat...both guns, all loads. Although, I did shoot a few dirty bore shots in the traditions...and it didn't matter! I made a very concerted effort with this today...a real challenge when a flinter isn't grouping right as I've come to find out! Tweak, tweak, tweak, and tweak some more!

Both rifles feature a 1:48" twist with a 26" barrel. The difference is in the breech plug design I suspect. Both are "designed to shoot loose powder or pellets." T/C has short solid plug with a cone (convex), while the Traditions is longer and hollow (concave)plug, which is somewhat closed on the bore end except for a nail size hole which connects to the main charge. This allows the 4f pan and 2F charge powder to mix a little before ingniting the main charge, or so I suspect.

Can a breech plug really effect powder and bullet performance that much? What about the performance of the "fake" powder in both guns...in one it's incredible, in the other I wouldn't take on barn door hunt; same container used on both guns today. The fake vs real powder argument, though probably is justified, takes on a new dimension in my mind (plug design) but I'm not sure why.

I started off archery hunting and got addicted quick, then dabbled in rifle hunting (not so addicted), and now I am beyond hooked on flintlocks...and now I'm broke.

Oh, I don't shoot the "real" powder because I can't find with 100 miles of where I live in AR and I'm not paying an additional $20 bucks for shipping. Plus the women don't like the smell either...clean it outside, I know, I know.

I look forward to the posts...off to clean some flinters, watch some real baseball (sorry Pirates, I love ya, but I like post-season excitment), and then back to work tomorrow.

AP

Freshwater Mussels? Can you eat'em?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 PM

Re: Traditions PA Pellet & T/C Firestorm

If you wont pay that whopping $20 fee, i guess you're stuck with that crap powder in a rifle that NEEDS real black powder in order to be reliable LOL.

Get some pyrodex P and give that a try. Reduce your current load info by 10%
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Yea, i understand the differences in the powder types. What makes the Firestorm need the real stuff as opposed to the traditions that apparently does pretty well with Triple 7?

AP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:36 AM

well its not to much that the tc needs the real stuff. Accuracy is something that can take time to find. I would suggest a 370gr maxiball or a .490 round ball with .015 patch. Does this rifle has the QLA at the end of the muzzle? QLA is a large 3/4" 1" section of the muzzle that is bored smooth.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 PM

I run 80 gr of Pyrodex RS and a 295 HP out of my Firestorm and it shoot's 1" groups at 50 yards all day. It does like a dirty barrel. I only clean it after 5 or 6 shots.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

The Traditions does not have the QLA but the T/C does. What's the function of this feature?

Funny thing with the traditions...shots 245's clean, dirty, doesn't matter...only shoots 295's dirty. first shot out of a clean bore doesn't even hit paper at 25 yds, but after that it's good. ...and they say machines don't have personalities!

AP

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:18 AM

LOL it drives you nuts sometimes dont it?

QLA makes loading the projectile easier. Allows the bullet to go into an unbored section of the barrel 3/4 - 1" and then you can use the short starter/ramrod to push the load down. TC in the past and still do, are putting out QLA's that are drilled off center. This is a big issue on their inlines, not so much their sidelocks.

I'd give the 370gr tc maxi ball a try and if that dont work, send the rifle in to tc and tell them what its doing. Maybe even give them a call first before spending more $$ on bullets. You still have the traditions to hunt with.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:33 AM
Frequent Contributor

I shoot 100 grs. of Triple 7 with a 250 Powerbelt out of my PA Pellet. I have never been a great shot with a muzzleloader, this combo has worked very very well at 100 yrds. I switched the plastic site out with the steel RMC fiber optic sites and that made a huge difference. I have a "traditional" T/C PA Hunter and shoot 90 grs. of FF and and round ball with FFFF in the pan and had great results with it. Shot a range at 200 yrds with a round ball and shot right at the bottom of an 8" plate...I was aiming at the top of the plate. I was pretty impressed.

I am more comfortable shooting the PA Pellet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in