Cap lock to flint lock conversion + - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 410-er
  • 1 Post By zimmerstutzen

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Cap lock to flint lock conversion +

I posted this on another forum and doing the same here to cast a wider net.

I just bought a .32 Pedersoli Kentucky cap lock and in the clean up process found that the bore is very rough. It may clean up but it got me thinking. Ya' that "thinking" stuff resulted in a lot of trouble in the past so I need a reality check - here goes.
Can I mount a .36 flint lock barrel in this stock and then "drop in" a flint lock ignition system? I would keep the trigger mechanism - if it is compatible with the flint lock ignition.
Do I want to contact Greg Dixon, maybe call Pedersoli? Or - and this is what I am hoping for - does anyone have any recommendation relative to the feasibility and sanity of what I have in mind?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think anything is possible, it all depends on how much time and money a person wants to throw at something. how about boring it out to a smoothbore and leaving it a cap gun? be a neat small game gun.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
I think anything is possible, it all depends on how much time and money a person wants to throw at something. how about boring it out to a smoothbore and leaving it a cap gun? be a neat small game gun.
Okay - that's a thought too, and a good one. How would I get it bored out / who does this kind of work? Get it bored out to what; .410 / 28 gage maybe?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad View Post
Okay - that's a thought too, and a good one. How would I get it bored out / who does this kind of work? Get it bored out to what; .410 / 28 gage maybe?
i'm a .410 fan myself. boring around here wouldn't be a problem with the number of tool/machine shops I don't think. others on here will probably have some names of gun smiths it could be sent to. might be a nice little gun and different.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
i'm a .410 fan myself. boring around here wouldn't be a problem with the number of tool/machine shops I don't think. others on here will probably have some names of gun smiths it could be sent to. might be a nice little gun and different.
I know a guy who knows a guy that is a machinist. This is officially now in the "Option" category.
Thanks!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:58 AM
The Man

Nothing at all wrong with a smooth rifle.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple View Post
Nothing at all wrong with a smooth rifle.
you bet, they are a very versatile gun, everyone should have one!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:16 AM
The Man

Bobby Hoyt does reboring and rifling.
I would scrub the bore with a jag,oil,and a range rod.DO NOT use a drill except for smooth bores!Clean it up and shoot it.I had a 36TC the same way.Had a charge in from years ago and wasn't cleaned.After a little work it shot great.
I always felt that switching from perc.to flint was better off just buying another gun!We all can use another muzzy!
blackpowder likes this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:42 AM

Uless the bore is so rough it grabs and tears patches, the gun may shoot well regardless. Black powder guns are very forgiving of minor bore pitting.

Boring the gun to a smooth bore, or even boring it out and re-rifling it are certainly options. Should be no problem taking it our to a 36 caliber or even a 40 caliber. A fellow shooter years ago had a 38 caliber rifle and shot the 375 round balls out of it. Contact Bobby Hoyt in Fairfield PA, about cost. He has no web site and I don't believe he does much on email. You may have to call several times because I understand he does not shut down the machinery to answer the phone. From what I understand, just boring it to a smooth bore is pretty reasonable. Getting another barrel and another lock is going to set you back almost as much as the gun.
blackpowder likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I fund Hoyt's address and phone number on another site. Will keep this in mind if the intense bore cleaning I am going to do on this thing does not work or if it does not shoot well once cleaned.
Thanks to all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page