T/C Penn. Hunter Carbine question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

T/C Penn. Hunter Carbine question

My flintlock experience is limited to the T/C Firestorm, so please forgive my ignorance in asking the following question...

I recently acquired a T/C Pennsylvania Hunter Carbine (always wanted one) with a few miles on it.

The bore looks decent as far as i can see, but i was troubled that the ramrod would not go all the way to the bottom of the barrel where i could see it through the touch hole.

If i stick a light in the touch hole, and look down from the muzzle it appears that there is a perfectly round shoulder where the diameter reduces quite a bit smaller than the .50 bore. Said shoulder is on the order of 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the touch hole / bottom of the barrel from what i can tell using ramrod to roughly measure.

I am used to cleaning my firestorm with removable breech plug where bore diameter is uniform all the way through, and the rod with jag passes all the way through.

It seems odd to me that the ramrod or cleaning rod with jag would bottom out before getting all the way to the bottom. I feared initially that the shoulder was/is a crud or corrosion ring. But when the cleaning rod is dropped and hits it, it has a very metallic sound, and when looking down at it from muzzle with backlight in touchhole, it sure looks perfectly round.

Is this by design?

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. <span style="font-style: italic">3 John 1:4</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:04 PM
The Man

Yes it is.Referred as a patened breech.Zimm has posted pics showin internally the design of the breech in the past.Hopefully he,ll see this and repost em.A pic is worth a thousand words.With the touch hole removed and usin a drop in bore light you can see the light in a clean unobstructed barrel.But it is not a straight thru design as your F/Storm is.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Patent Breech. Good stuff...

I found this thread that you likely were referring to:

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/24-m...ml?perpage=500

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. <span style="font-style: italic">3 John 1:4</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Next Question:

What load does your T/C PA Hunter Carbine prefer? Need a starting point.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:39 AM
The Man

I,d start a 60 grains.Then adjust accordingly as your rifle will tell ypu what it likes.Don,t go hog wild especially with a short barrel cause you,ll just blow unburned powder right out the exhaust.I also would start with the good ole patched round ball.It is a great way to learn your rifle and loading and is just darn cool cause you have to fiddle with it unlike that sabot junk.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:43 AM
The Man

Also remember to adjust your load accordingly if you switch from 2F to 3F.Plus your powder grain measurement is volume not weight as the same volume of 3F has more punch than the same volume of 2F.Your gonna luv all the neat stuff your gonna learn.Try not to take short cuts and the easy way out while learning and you,ll appreciate the sport a whole lot more.Good luck.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've gotten perfectly acceptable performance, both in accuracy and deer-dropping efficiency, using 75 gr of 2F black powder and 245 gr. Buffalo ball-ets in a Pa Hunter. I'm not making any recommendations or condoning the load; just stating what has worked for me.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Use powerbelts in the firestorm. Thinking i want to go PRB with the carbine.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Banned

My Lyman GPR has the same type of breech. I need to use a Hoppes rifle cleaning rod with a patch to get into that part of the bore to clean it. Neither of my semi-custom guns is like that though. Just straight walls all the way to the breech plug, allowing ram rod to go all the way down..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 01:37 PM

I have the same carbine. Mine doesn't like 3f powder as much as it does 2f; I use Goex. A 60 grain charge of 3f is about as much as it will handle before the group starts opening up. A .490 ball and 80 grain of 2f gives tight almost touching groups at 50 yards; from the bench. It's not a powerhouse like a longer barrel is but will handle deer if you keep it less than 50 yards; a good accurate hit to the vitals will still get it done. I never could get good groups with the Hornady .50 ball-ets in my gun. Not even sure it's burning all of 80 grains of 2f but it gets good consistent group so that what I shoot in mine. Mine didn't like powerbelts either. It's all how snug the load fits; mine is a little too large for anything but patched ball.

TC makes a small brush called a breech brush that works well to clean the patent breech area. I suggest you get one and use it. TC won't be making them any longer either. A .357 pistol bore brush will work well too; just make sure you get the right threads to fit your rod.

Last edited by mossie; 01-15-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page