Cleaning Moisture from the Barrel - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning Moisture from the Barrel

Ok, Need for some of you guys to help out here some...

A few of us had a little disagreement at the range some weeks ago about how to remove moisture from your Barrel before loading...so, This morning, I rooted around in my 1 box I have some Hunting Videos in and came up with my Video that came with my CVA....

I sat and watched it again....they showed to take a 209 primer for inlines, or a cap for a side lock and simply fire off the 209 primer or cap to clean any moisture in the barrel...

Reason I pulled it out and watched it was because of the disagreement...

1 is taking a patch and ramming it fully down the barrel and then with the range rod still in the barrel, firing off a 209 Primer...

When I saw this going on at the Range, I got up from the Bench FAST and Backed off a good distance and Asked what the ho hum he was doing...

He told me Cleaning the moisture from the barrel...

I asked WERE or WHO Told him to do that... Do not remember who he said but I told him what was on the Video I have on how to clear the Barrel of Moisture.. No Patch or ram rod in the barrel... this guy told me that he was told if you do not put a patch in the barrel that you will get all the crude from the primer in your Barrel...

Well, yeah, Sure you will but you want the heat all the way thru the barrel and it pushs any loose dirt and stuff out...

Just seems a Waste of a Patch to me and also seem VERY UNSAFE!
Seems that those 209 Primers could cause enough pressure to maybe break something in there with a ram rod and patch holding still in there and not moving!

So....you guys that have different inlines besides the CVAs....do you push a patch down the barrel and fire off a primer or just shoot off a primer?

Thoughts on this patch and ram rod...

I still personally feel it is unsafe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 07:08 PM

Re: Cleaning Moisture from the Barrel

I myself snap a few caps off followed by a clean cloth patch
I also run a small wire threw the breech hole and then ready to load.
my flintlock I clean the barrel with a dry patch,frizzen and powder pan clean also and ready to load.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 PM

Inline pop off two or three primers
Percussion cap pop off two or three caps
Flint some 4f in the flash pan and about 5gr in the pipe.

Never heard of the patch and ram rod meathod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Administrator

That's what my CVA video said to do!Fire off a 209 primer!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 11:32 PM

Speaking as a qualified safety officer for NMLRA, PHMC and the Army, what your buddy at the range did was unsafe and would get him thrown off most ranges. Every training I have ever taken including good old hunter safety states you should not fire a muzzleloader with any kind of obstruction down the barrel. Only thing that should be in their is a bullet and charge when you are ready to fire. For one, if a piece of that patch or patch fiber remained in the barrel it could hold enough spark to ignite the powder when he pours it down the barrel. Two, he is dropping the hammer on a propellent that could push that ramrod out. If there was any residual powder down the barrel from a poor cleaning you could have a projectile. Unlikely, but not impossible.

What he did breaks all the rules of weapons safety so I would stay away from that practice.

I am also not a big believer if popping a blank, primer or cap before loading. I am very careful not to put to much oil down the barrel. I use soluable oils so that they don't build up during cleanings. I cannot remember a time when I had a misfire due to a wet bore from oils.

Hope this helps,

GBJ
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Frequent Contributor

I agree!! Nothing should be in that bore when popping a cap or primer. It really shouldn't be necessary to do anyway, if you are not over-oiling. One thing that will work, and dry quickly, is plain old rubbing alcohol on a patch. Follow with a dry patch and load 'er up!

The best guns go off with a rock in the lock....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Hopefully the Right Person Reads this...

If he does.....

I'm Not trying to bust on you in here...Just trying to get you to not shove that patch and ramrod down the barrel and shoot a cap off!
Seems very unsafe just like I told you!

Hopefully you can see from what Gray Beard JR. said and what others have said and just start from here on out popping a primer without that patch and ram rod in the barrel!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 07:52 PM

the deal with the ramrod down the bore with a cleaning patch. This is mostly done with the traditional sidelocks to ensure that your flame channel is clean and clear of anything * Patch comes out with a black/burnt mark). With an Inline, just pop a cap.

I dont do either since i hardly ever oil my barrels after cleaning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page