HELP PLEASE - Load Discharging - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

HELP PLEASE - Load Discharging

Ok Fellas, First off thanks for all your help on my last post. I have really been enjoying shooting my Traditions Hawkins flintlock in .50 cal.

Here is the latest issue. Was hunting day before yesterday and had a misfire. No big deal, it happens. At the end of the day I cleaned the pan, jag the hole a couple times, put clean dry powder in the pan to discharge the round. Well its a no go, good spark, good flash, no boom. Did this a couple times. Waited over night for it to dry with same result.

My thought was I got the powder in the barrel wet. I tried to use the ball remover with the ramrod. One of the prongs broke off down the barrel and won't come out. I tried to use my air compressor to blow it out. There just wasn't enough force. I had to go to work and was worried about leaving the loaded barrel, I read somewhere to put gun oil down the barrel to inactivate the blackpowder so I did that.

So NOW WHAT SHOULD I DO? I understand that the flintlock doesn't have a breech like an inline but can I unscrew the back side of the barrel that hooks into the stock? It looks like it is threaded. I have never tried to remove it because no cleaning videos have ever showed doing that.

I have looked online at the CO2 dischargers, sounds like they work but I am having trouble finding a sight that actually still sells them.

I am pretty dang sure with the gun oil, and piece of ball extractor I don't want to try and shoot it again.

Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:15 AM
The Man

If it was me I would unscrew the touch hole and dig out any old powder and work in some new.Then fire it.
Local car garages have higher compressors.Could check there.
Remove touch hole,put in grease zert and pump away.Messy but works.

Are you sure you were using a ball remover or patch remover?

NEVER unscrew the breech plug!

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:24 AM
New Arrival

I take my breech plug out to clean my traditions pa pellet. Doesn't effect the way it shoots
hd833 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Man, I think it was a ball puller. Bought it in a kit with cleaning supplies. It had two small gage wires on the end that spiral circularly. Looked to me like it would go down and circle around the ball to pull it out. WRONG TOOL?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime View Post
Man, I think it was a ball puller. Bought it in a kit with cleaning supplies. It had two small gage wires on the end that spiral circularly. Looked to me like it would go down and circle around the ball to pull it out. WRONG TOOL?
yep. ball puller has a screw that screws into the lead ball to pull it out.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:35 AM
Part of the Community

Yes, wrong tool. The puller is a screw that you screw into the bullet.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
yep. ball puller has a screw that screws into the lead ball to pull it out.
With a quick Google search I found out I was NOT using a ball puller. gonna have to look around and see if I have a rod stiff enough to try and tap the ball and back it out.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:04 AM
New Arrival

I purchased a used TC Hawken a couple years ago, Cheap,that had been traded with "something" stuck in the barrel. I tried to fire the gun, good flash in the pan but no luck. Next I sprayed blaster down the barrel for several days, and tried compressed air-no luck. As a last resort, I put the ball puller on my ramrod(stainless), chucked the ramrod in my cordless drill and drilled it into the ball. I then clamped vice grips on end of rod and used the end of the barrel as a fulcrum as I pulled rod. It worked flawlessly, and didn't Mar the barrel. Sorry so long, but have been down this road
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

First off, what is make/model of gun to determine if it has a removeable breech plug? Traditions PA Pellet has a removeable breech plug. I believe it is the PA Pellet Accelerator. RMC Accusporter is another one. If it is one of those, You are easy peasy!

A ball puller has ramrod threads on 1 end, and some type of headless screw on the other. A trick when You get one, tap it into the ball a bit stoutly, and it will thread into the lead better. Don't be dainty with it. The ball is going to get hosed up anyway. And when pulling out, keep the ball moving once started. Start and stop can cause the threads to loosen on the lead.

Personally, I would push some pan powder into the vent, put the liner back on, and shoot in a safe direction.

Make sure You seat the ball down against the charge. If there is a gap, You could ring or bulge the barrel if some of the main charge isnt fouled.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 10:58 AM
Banned

Yes, you used the wrong tool. You used a patch worm, which is used for retrieving stuck cleaning patches.

If I were you, I'd go online to one of the muzzle loader supply houses, such as Track of the wolf, or Muzzle loader builder's supply, or Dixie gun works. Purchase a .50 caliber ball puller, the kind that has the brass bushing behind the screw. This type of puller will assure the screw will penetrate straight into the ball. Do not buy one that is just a screw, those kind can wander off center and damage the bore. Also buy a bore guide that slips over the ramrod, or range rod. A bore guide looks kind of like a small funnel. It is used to protect the crown of the muzzle from wear by the range rod. Use a T-Handle on your rod for leverage. You should be able to pull the ball fairly easily once you have the right equipment. if its tight, get an extra set of hands to hold the gun while you pull. It will be tight in some instances, but not all, but it will come out.

I would try this method before attempting to fire the ball out. Its easier and less messy.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 12-31-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page