iron sight picture - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

iron sight picture

Hey guys

How do you set up your iron sights. lets say a 50 - 75 yard shot. as far as your sight picture do you cover the deer or is your sight picture lower and hitting high on the mark? I used to cover my deer but out past 75 yards and with my aging eye sight i'm thinking maybe to hold low see the deer and have it hit high on original mark. What say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 11:27 AM
Banned

I've got my .54 caliber Lancaster rifle hitting close to dead on at 50 yards by using a center hold. At 100 yards, I've got to hold over about 6 inches to get the ball into the bull or close to it. I could up my powder charge slightly or file the front sight just a tad more, but I'm used to the sight picture I have with it so leave it alone. Now with my Lyman GPR, I've got to use a 6 O'clock hold at 50 because it hits slightly higher than point of aim.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

That's why I went to a peep on my Lyman takes guess work out of it. Just look through peep put the front post where u want to shoot that's it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 03:13 PM

I "float" the intended target on top of my front sight. 6 o'clock hold. It works for me and that's the way I've always done it. I sight in for fifty yards, adjust accordingly for different distances.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 03:19 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

My long rifle is setup that the ball impacts about 2-2.5" higher than the top of the front sight at 50 yards, and about 1-1.5" lower than the same point at 100 yards.

When I shoot at game, the top of the front sight goes where I want the ball to go, and with the way the rifle shoots, the ball hits there +/- 2" out to about 105-110 yards.

For my personal standards, that makes it point-n-shoot to that distance. I don't think about aiming high or low.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 04:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
My long rifle is setup that the ball impacts about 2-2.5" higher than the top of the front sight at 50 yards, and about 1-1.5" lower than the same point at 100 yards.

When I shoot at game, the top of the front sight goes where I want the ball to go, and with the way the rifle shoots, the ball hits there +/- 2" out to about 105-110 yards.

For my personal standards, that makes it point-n-shoot to that distance. I don't think about aiming high or low.

my .62 is set up like yours tdd, with the front down in the "v" of the rear sight. I also hold the top of the front sight in the "v" level with the top of the rear sight for shooting out to 150 yards. right now the 150 hold looks good as far as the calculations go, but I will find out after the holidays when I get my 20" steel target hung out at 150. thats the goal, to be able to consistently be able to hit out to 150 for my up coming moose hunt.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 05:19 PM
The Man

Front site level across the top of rear notch site.Ball will hit right on line of front site.A little white paint and thin coat of flo orange helps too!
Pictures 016 by t410er, on Flickr

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 05:21 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
my .62 is set up like yours tdd, with the front down in the "v" of the rear sight. I also hold the top of the front sight in the "v" level with the top of the rear sight for shooting out to 150 yards. right now the 150 hold looks good as far as the calculations go, but I will find out after the holidays when I get my 20" steel target hung out at 150. thats the goal, to be able to consistently be able to hit out to 150 for my up coming moose hunt.
Pics of that hunt will be very welcome.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:17 PM

I put the top of the front sight blade directly in the center of the rear sight aperture and plant the bullet impact centered and just on top of the front sight blade. No floating, no kidding.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 05:05 AM

part of the problem is the horrible sights that are factory installed on modern guns. 25 years ago, I noticed that the front sight on a renegade was "bigger than deer" nd the problem with fine sights for precision shootings is the ability to find them in low light situations. So I carried two bottles of model airplane paint and some swabs in the hunting bag. For low light I would put just a dab of yellow or orange paint on the back of the front blade. Not on top. Suddenly the fine sight low light problem was solved.
willyp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page