T/C Firestorm and accuracy problems - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

T/C Firestorm and accuracy problems

3 years ago at Christmas I got a new model Traditions ml as a gift, and loved it for the most part, except for the sights! Sighting it in was a snap, 70 gr (powder) 3F and a 245 Aerotip Powerbelt with 4f Goex in the pan; ended up shooting a really nice doe last late season with it. Anyway, my nephew wanted to get into ml'ing this season as he was with me on my successful hunt. So I sold him that gun, and decided to move up a notch and get a new T/C Firestorm (SS/Synthetic stock) mostly because of much sturdier sites. Wasn't all that in impressed with the expansion of the 245 aerotip, so I also wanted up bump up in bullet grain. Now I'm fighting some problems I haven't experienced and I'm not sure how to address them.

1) load identification: I've been through the 305 gr platnium Powerbelts with 70 - 100 grains (10 grain increments) of 3f American Pioneer, 245 and 295 Aerotip powerbelts with 70 - 100 grains of 3f Triple 7 and American Pioneer, and 295 Hollow Point Powebelts with 70 - 90 grains of 2f Triple 7 (ran out of 3f Pioneer and Triple 7). I can't seem to get a group, at all. cleaning every two shots the same way and reloading the same way (just different powder). Ordered some T/C Maxi-balls to try next thinking "well, maybe." Even tried cleaning every shot and still all over the place. Thoughts?

2) I'm flinching: I know some of the problem is that I'm flinching the gun. Not sure if it's because I've got to stand on the trigger, not too much of an exaggeration there, or if I'm jumping at the "flash." Has anyone had the trigger mechanism adjusted on their firestorm if so how and how much? Any pointers on overcoming the "jump" problem I have seemed to develop with the pan flash?

I'm in Arkansas 'til thanksgiving and then back up at christmas so I have some good weather and some time on my side, but would like to have all this sorted out by Turkey Day.

AP

Freshwater Mussels? Can you eat'em?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:19 AM

Re: T/C Firestorm and accuracy problems

use 90 gr of 3f shooting 320 gr maxi balls and works well out of my firestorm shoot few deer with that load and group pretty well at 50 yards.

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Just bought a TC FS last week ... I started out with 296 HP Powerbelts with 2 50/50 Pyrodex pellets and ffffg in the pan ... I am grouping 3inch at 50-75 ... Another member on here Loggy had a nice thread on this.

Paddle Faster ... I hear Banjo Music!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 03:38 PM

Same load works for me. With my firestorm, if there is an accuracy problem, it is definetly me and not the gun. I'm hoping to have my trigger shaved too.

That which does not kill me, only makes me stronger.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:15 PM

May be a combination of the heavy trigger pull and a little flinch thrown in. Some of the Firestorms have come thru with heavy pulls in the past.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:24 PM

I have one of the older Firestorms and it loves the 295 powerbelts with 80gr of LOOSE Pyrodex. The trigger is fine on it also. I would suggest putting the gun in a stable vise and trying it that way. That will definatly take out the human factor. All you have to do is set it up and then pull the trigger. I also only clean the barrel about every 5 shots.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 11:26 PM

your problem is that you're using a sub black powder and not the real deal, thats an accuracy killer right there.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

80 grns black powder with 245 PB aerotips work very well for me. They are a bit pricey though and need to find a good load for round balls. just got the gun last summer. heading out soon looking to score my first deer with the flinter. No shots at deer last year. I'm VERY confident i'll bring one home with a shot out to roughly 75 yds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page