Blackhorn 209 without magnum primers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Blackhorn 209 without magnum primers

Anyone shoot Blackhorn 209 without magnum primers? I picked up a jug of BH 209 today and didnt realize that it was recommended to shoot magnum primers with it. I'd rather not have to go buy new primers as I picked up a new box of CCI 209 muzzeloading primers a few weeks ago. I'll be shooting it out of a TC Impact btw. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 01:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Blackhorn 209 without magnum primers

I use regular shotgun 209 primers. I don't remember them saying anything about magnum primers JUST not to use 209 muzzleloader primers.
BTW...I have no problem with my Winchester shotgun primers with my Blackhorn powder in my LHR Redemption.
Good luck
Dave

ONLY THE DUMBEST SHEEP ELECT THEIR BUTCHERS

3D in PA
7R in NY
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 03:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use Federal 209a primers. Here is info;

http://www.blackhorn209.com/2011/10/...blackhorn-209/

Intelligence without wisdom is Modern Society............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 07:17 PM

BH209 is an absolutely excellent powder. I never knew what accuracy and power were until I ditched the Triple 7 and went with BH209 for good. However, BH209 needs a good pressure spike to get it going or it WILL fail to ignite properly and do a slow "woosh" that will gently push the bullet out of the bore without a big bang. I only had it happen once when I experimented with soft-seating a bullet over the powder to see how it impacted accuracy...
Yeah...don't do that or you'll end up with a perfectly intact muzzleloader bullet sitting on the ground about 10 yards in front of you and quiet belch of fire behind it.

Bottom line: as long as you seat the bullet good and hard on the powder (i.e. a tight enough fit to spike the pressure in the chamber properly), you should be fine with standard primers.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use Winchester 209 primers in my inline with Blackhorn powder. I'll never go back to pyrodex or Triple 7. Better accuracy and less mess for sure.

An archer shoots his targets as far as he can. A bowhunter shoots his target as close as possible.

Mathews Vertix - Catfish Custom Bowstrings - HHA Kingpin Lite
QAD MXT - Wickstick Stabilizers - Bowfinger Ulitmate Mount
Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum - Carter 1st Choice
https://buckstick.com/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:07 PM

With BH209, I use either Federal 209 or CCI 209 magnum primers, as I think they're more reliable in cold weather. As inexpensive as a box of primers is, I think it's cheap insurance.

Rich Deerhunter
Lock Haven, PA
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richdeerht
With BH209, I use either Federal 209 or CCI 209 magnum primers, as I think they're more reliable in cold weather. As inexpensive as a box of primers is, I think it's cheap insurance.
No doubt about it, a magnum primer is good, cheap insurance to ensure reliable ignition. I was hurting for a bit during the ammo shortage, as CCI 209M primers got scare in a hurry. Once things recovered, I bought a brick of 'em. That should hold me down well for a long time.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

is BH209 a loose powder or is it pellets ?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Loose powder

An archer shoots his targets as far as he can. A bowhunter shoots his target as close as possible.

Mathews Vertix - Catfish Custom Bowstrings - HHA Kingpin Lite
QAD MXT - Wickstick Stabilizers - Bowfinger Ulitmate Mount
Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum - Carter 1st Choice
https://buckstick.com/
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

So I went to the range real quick this morning. I ended up not getting the magnum primers and used regular CCI 209 muzzeloaders primers and had no issue with ignition in the handful of shots I took. So for now I'll use what I got until I got the time to buy and play with the magnum primers. The BH 209 shrunk my groups to a little over 2 inches and provided the consistency I was looking for. That was the biggest issue with triple 7, the consistency just wasnt there to my liking. Lastly, now this probably needs more testing, but it appears that when I swabbed after a few shots the next shot would hit a couple inches high. A clean barrel group was under a inch. I left with a dirty barrel though and am leaving it dirty until after the early season. The grouping when dirty is plenty good to kill deer even though I would like to see the 'clean group size'. In the event I would need a follow up shot I don't want to have to swab before the next shot or else leave it dirty and be wondering where exactly the next bullet was going. Thats what I have to report, so take it with a grain of salt. More shooting is needed to really confirm all this but I'm confident in the gun for this coming weekend and thats what matters most at the moment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page