Federal B.O.R. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Federal B.O.R.

Looking for a new inline bullet. Anybody have any feedback on the Federal BOR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Federal B.O.R.

Im curios too, been eyeing them up to try in my new omega
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 10:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is some limit info on line about the round and it sounds like it would do a good job.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes. From what I have just read, not sounding good. Need to find another option.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 06:51 PM

Since you are looking at full bore bullets....

Have you taken a look at Thor bullets? Barnes full copper full bore bullets...call or email them and they'll get you a sizing pack...

I can't speak for performance on big game...but they are showing great signs of accuracy for me...shooting the 300gr model in a 1:28 twist...the 250s didn't shoot as well for me...

Load easy (have to size them for you bore as the copper doesn't give like lead...).

Shot 2 groundhogs with them and they seem to be opening up even in such a thin target...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNTRDAVE
Yes. From what I have just read, not sounding good. Need to find another option.
My personal experience with the BOR Lock bullet out of my T/C Omega was not impressive and possibly dangerous. The plastic tips were occasionally falling out by merely taking the bullets out of the package, presenting the risk of a bore obstruction in the field. It wouldn't take much for the ramrod seater to pull the tip out and drop it back down without the user knowing.

At 50 yards, the 270 gr. lead version would consistently produce two holes touching and one wild flier about 2" away from the 2-shot cluster. Group after group this would happen. Knowing what I know now, I wonder if the tips were indeed falling out in flight or otherwise, causing this. Worse, they loaded a little *too* easily and it felt/sounded like they were trying to slide back up the bore when pulling the ramrod back up. After I found myself re-seating the bullets out of paranoia more than once, I pulled the plug on trying them and mailed the rest back to Federal with a note explaining my concerns. Supposedly, they fixed the tip falling out problem, but I can't say if they addressed the very loose fit. This is what a group would look like - not good. Note the loose tip I found fallen out of one of the bullets on my bench:

If you are looking for an excellent alternative to the BOR Lock for a full bore bullet that doesn't require special fitting like the THOR, try the 350 gr. Harvester Saber Tooth bullet:

https://harvestermuzzleloading.com/i...ts/saber-tooth

Don't let the 1990's-looking website fool you; these things shoot extremely well. Using a full charge (120 gr.) of Blackhorn 209 and good, firm seating over the powder, these puppies will stack 3 shots touching at 50 yards and go MOA or better at 100 yards out of my Omega. They're a way more consistent performer than what I got with the BOR. I am going to give them a shot on game this year, most likely during the early doe muzzeloader season in PA. All reports are that they are exceptional on game, and I wish I discovered them sooner to find out for myself. For camparison, after many great groups during prior practice sessions, I took one final 50-yard validation shot with this bullet last night before packing it up for my Colorado bull muzzleloader hunt...yep, she's good. This was with iron sights, mind you, as scopes are not allowed for Colorado muzzleloader hunts. Definitely inspires confidence when you hit exactly where you're aiming:

FYI - A hunting buddy is having the same accuracy issues I had with the BOR Lock bullets, but he's completely bent on trying to get past them and using the BOR Lock bullets on our Colorado muzzleloader elk hunt next week. I'm using a .54 cal flintlock as my primary gun on that hunt, but the T/C with the 350 gr. Saber Tooth bullets is coming along as a backup in case the weather gets ugly. I have full faith in them if they are called upon.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great report six gun! Thank you. I will look into those bullets. Goodluck on your trip.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 02:26 PM

Thanks, Dave! I'm happy to help.

I should have mentioned that if you do order some Saber Tooth bullets, try at least 2 of the 3 weights they offer (270, 300, or 350 gr.) and see which one your gun likes best. If the first one shoots great, just mail the other pak back unopened and they'll exchange them for more of the ones you need. In my gun, the 300 gr. bullets shot really well (~1" 3-shot groups at 50 yards), but the 350 grainers were the absolute best.

Also, if you use Blackhorn 209 *and your gun is rated for it* (don't go blowing your gun up and/or hurting yourself), try 110 gr. and then jump up to 120 gr if you aren't getting a 3-shot cluster at 50 yards. The 10-gr. difference in my gun made them go from 2 shots ~1.5" apart to 2 shots touching. That's when I knew this was special combination. After getting the two touching, I zeroed the iron sights 1.5" high at 50 yards and blasted a steel plate on my buddy's range at 110 yards. The top pic is the 2-shot, 50-yard cluster, the second is the steel plate:

It's a beastly load that definitely kicks hard, but the accuracy is there. If the accuracy still isn't what you want, then go ahead and drop down to 100 gr. and see if it improves. You can obviously step down the charge increments if you feel you're getting close but just need a slightly higher/lower charge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page