i need some help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

i need some help

I need the name of someone that can put my flintlock back together .I bought an l&r lock, green mountain 58 barrel and hired what I thought was a good gunsmith to put it together ,I was wrong . now I am seeking a Pennsylvania smith to assemble my t/c frankinstein flintlock for me .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: i need some help

You can try here ,I see your location is Vermont so shipping would be required of course.

I have dealt here for supplies ever since the 1970"s. Jim knows muzzleloaders however I don"t believe he is a custom builder but does have a machine shop

http://www.fortchambers.com/httpdocs/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 11:02 AM

Dixons Muzzle loading

http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/

NRA life member
DU member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 09:22 PM

What is the hold up or issues?

I'm doing something similar but with a fast twist 50cal. Only TC part is the tang...

I have to order the trigger, trigger guard, butt plate, and nose cap yet...but the lock and tang are inletted...the barrel needs a hair taken out..

Will have to fit the rest and drill some holes...but I'm having fun and enjoying it...when it's done I will know I put the rifle together from a pile of parts and a partially inletted stock...

What stock are you using???
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 10:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Where at in Vermont? I'll see if I can find somebody close to you.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

I tried dixons they told me that they don't do this kind of repairs,i am in the northeast part, I bought a 58 cal green mnt barrel and an l r lock for my renegade the barrel needed blued ,sights,everything and of coarse the lock needed inletted but what I got back was not very good so what I need is now a new stock and everything putback together finished . I am not a good carpenter I am a deer camp carpenter , I will be paying in cash ,no checks no cc and I need someone that specializes in flintlocks. I come home often so getting it there and picking it up is no problem. if you want me to say more about what happened I will but I didn't see a need for it here . I feel safe posting here ,this board has been apart of my life since 2000 and there are a lot of kind people here .....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 08:35 PM

I'm far from a carpenter myself....I mean..I can look at a piece of wood and ruin it lol...

There are some makers of after-market stocks for the TC...the one I bought is started...but not bolt on the furniture ready by no means..

EBay is loaded with original stocks...to fit the L&R lock you have a little bit of wood to remove..that's your cheap option if noone will put the rifle together for you...

Where did you find the 58cal barrel? I looked for a while...I found a fast twist 50cal...brand new..blued..Williams fiber optic sights and good ramrod for a steal IMO...figured if I don't like sabots I will have it bored out to 58cal...

Hope you find someone to finish it right!

Not gunna lie I have several hours fitting the tang and lock in my stock already...but I love it and already thinking about my next "build". It's way more work than I thought it'd be buying a pre-inletted stock...but I'm learning and it's coming along...can't wait to finish it!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 01:14 AM
Banned

How attached to this gun are you? You might be better off dumping it(at a loss maybe but you will get something back), then buying a gun from a reputable smith.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page