Double Ball Load - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Double Ball Load

Found an interesting post while googling PRBs

In an old TC Manual there is a page titled "Double Ball Load for Deer". I believe it would be illegal in our state for deer which allows only single projectiles.

But I think it's legal for Yotes and other varmints. I could be wrong though as it more resembles a buck shot load.

The directions state;

First load in the conventional manner A SINGLE POWDER CHARGE
Seat patched ball snuggly
Seat a second patched ball TIGHTLY on top of the first
INSURE The second ball is rammed firmly against the first so that the second ball does not act as a bore obstruction.
Recommended only in a perfectly clean bore
Mark ramrod for both first and second ball

Recommended loads for .45 (.440) and .50 (.490) balls

For .50
Two .490 balls, 100gr FFG MV-1705 fps, ME-2401 Ft.Lbs

Goes on to state; "if desired, lighter powder charges can be used. Our best test accuracy was obtained by positioning the SPRUE DOWN on the first ball and SPRUE UP on the second ball".

One guy said in his .50 he used 80 grs of powder, felt wad, patched ball, felt wad, patched ball. "The round balls always hit within an inch or so of each other"

This is all legit as the copy of the TC manual page with those instructions was on the web page.

I have an old TC manual but it has no such info. I found this interesting but I think we are past the day of such recommendations.

Does anyone have this manual? If so I would be interested in the date. Also has anyone used this load?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:46 PM
The Man

Re: Double Ball Load

A guy from a muzzy site I go on tried this.In his state it was legal.Don't remember the powder charge he used but 2 RB's are similar in weight to a maxi.He got groups like stated very close.He did shoot a deer or couple deer and stated that it worked but gained nothing over a well placed single RB.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Yeah 410-er the guy is probably right. There is no substitute for shot placement.

But my old TC manual states a MV of 2,052 fps with 100 gr FFG in the Hawken. 175 gr .490 ball. In the above load its 1705 for two balls. Obviously more weight, friction, etc. less velocity with two balls.... But that's 350 grains of lead hitting close together... he didn't mention how far he was shooting.

The point is moot anyway since it's not legal for us...if it was, I might give it a try just to see how it works. I might give it a shot anyways (On paper, that is)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 07:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Have done it. It worked. disclaimer. shoot one ball.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 09:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

That was the Old West Vrigina Load in a .45 T/C. When they first were made only in .45 cal. The old 45-70 load was "3" round balls in one case, for the Old Trap Door !! Then super nasty in a Marlin Lever !!

"EXCEED THE STANDARDS YOU SET FOR OTHERS"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

It seems the preferred military load from the French and Indian wars on up even sometimes in the Civil War was "buck and ball"....but in a smooth bore musket like about .72 cal.

Something like a .69 cal ball and three 30 cal buck shot. Only effective out to about 50 yards but easy and quick to load (in a smooth bore musket)

I saw an old, original Revolutionary War musket that was X-Rayed and still had the buck and ball load showing in it after all these years. Probably google "buck and ball" and it will come up. Possible I saw it on Wikipedia.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:11 AM

I knew a guy who insisted that his family used to do this. One ball would shoot 3" below the other at 50 yards or so he would say.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page