PRB in Renegade - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

PRB in Renegade

Hello, anyone use patched round balls in a 50 Cal Renegade, 26" barrel? I have become discouraged by ML bullets including Maxi Balls/Hunters and even Pa Conicals. Not because of performance but because of excess barrel leading.

I'm thinking in a 26" barrel 50 Cal, probably 70 gr of 2F or 3F.

Out to about 50 yards, how does it perform on deer? Any comments or suggestion would be helpful, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 03:58 PM

Re: PRB in Renegade

One of my biggest regrets was selling my 50 cal. Renegade. all I shot was prb out of my renegade, took my first muzzleloader deer with it at around 50-55 yards. Very accurate with prb. There should be no worries about taking a deer at 50 yards with 50 cal. using 70 gr. of 2F. I would start out at 50 gr and work your way up to find your best accuray. dont be afraid to try 3F black powder. It all comes down to shot placement.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 04:07 PM

I have carried a Renegade since 1982, I tried lots of combos
early and have stuck with .490 RB .015 patches and 80 grains of 3F. I have had good results over the years,You must follow up every shot closely...sometimes not much blood at first.RB's seem to blow right through them easily. Although the best thing I have done with my Renegade was to switch to Hawken sights years ago

“If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 04:35 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I have a 50-cal renegade since 1989.

Same exact load as the post above worked great in mine. I killed deer as far as 90 yards with it and it did quite well.

I had the standard sights replaced with "target" sights. At least that's what Greg Dixon called them. They are squared front and back. No bead, no v in the back. Square notch and square post. I think they're a ton better than the standard TC sights. Greg also put a Lyman frizzen on it, too.

I use a different rifle now and have thought of selling that Renegade a few times, but I can't ever bring myself to do it. Plus my dad likes to use it now.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 06:59 PM
The Man

.490 or .495 RB a .015 or .018 patch.Try both FFg and FFFg.Each barrel can be different but you should get less than 1 1/2" groups at 50 yds.Nothing lives with 1/2" hole in the heart or lungs!

DSCF2249 by t410er, on Flickr

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 07:57 PM

I run my Hawken with 90gr of 3fg and a PRB at the range...I've shot a few deer with em...switched to Buffalo Ball-ets though...I didn't like the trails PRBs would leave...I don't think any of the deer I shot had an exit hole...maybe I pushed em too hard..

The ball-ets typically always exit for me...I've killed a decent few deer with em now...I don't have leading issues with the Ball-ets either...but typically don't shoot many of them. I shoot PRBs on the range. Ball-ets aren't made so I gotta save what I have...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 10:49 PM

A PRB over 100gr of 2f is accurate out of my Renegade to 100yrds. Never had a need for anything else. Never understood everyone's dislike with PRB, never had a deer go more than 50yrds. Thing about the swagged lead, when it hits it flattens out. Every ball I've retrieved was about 3/4" in diameter. Probably hit bone, but like was said before nothing lives long with a half inch hole in it.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

mauser, I know this has been hashed out plenty of times. I have heard that you can push a ball too fast and they are actually more effective if not pushed too hard. I am no expert in the matter.

I've been successful with PRBs but in .54 cal and I can tell you they are very effective. Also in .50 but only with Maxi Balls and Maxi Hunters in that caliber. I just don't like struggling with the leading. In my experience the bigger the lead bullet the more it leads a bore. The 370 grain maxis are the worst in my opinion and I don't push them any faster than 80 gr of 2F although I have used as much as 90 grains of 3F in the past.

Also, I don't think a 26" barrel as in the Renegade or even the 28" Hawken can burn more than about 70/80 grains of BP with much more of a gain. Of course it probably depends on the projectile. AGAIN, I am no expert and defer to the more knowledgeable.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 11:32 PM
Part of the Community

I've been running PRBs out of my renegade since my parents gave it to me for christmas in 79. I've tried different loads and projectiles but always ended up back to a .490 ball with a .015 patch pushed by 80gr of 3F. So that's all I shoot out of her now.
As far as the effectiveness/trails on deer, it's all about where you hit them.
Mike

Reward Equals Effort. Nothing is Free
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 01:25 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I shot a few from my Renegade with RB's and a few with Speer hollowpoints in sabots. I like the hollowpoints best, but the PRB's did the job pretty well, to be honest.

I went to 62-cal with my custom gun, though, and that is just a whole other world, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page