rusted barrel - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

rusted barrel

Is it worth buying a mzl with barrel rusted inside for $150 otherwise in excellent cond?Not sure if it would need the barrel just replaced.Not sure what a brl would cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 02:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: rusted barrel

Depends how rusted. I know folks who took small pieces of scotch brite pads on a ramrod, and took the rust out. There was minor pitting, but still shoot minute of deer.

And depending on Make/Model of Muzzy, You might be able to get the barrel rebored/refreshed by Bob Hoyt in Fairfield (Adams Co.) Pa. About 10-15 minutes SE of Gettysburg. He isn't real keen on CVA, but I know he has done TC and Lyman barrels. And it depends on bore now vs. thickness of walls, how deep dovetails are cut, etc.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't just based on the fact that you don't know. Its a gamble either way, it could shoot fine or it could barely keep them on paper.

What make/model muzzleloader is it? If it is an older model more than a couple of years I would pass. You can get a brand new wolf inline for that.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:08 PM

More background info needed. How rusted - surface or pits? Make / model of gun? Flint / percussion?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:59 PM
The Man

Agreed on the advice given.You could find a NIB Traditions Deerhunter for that if your just lookin to get your feet wet.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:59 PM
The Man

Even cheaper used.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 07:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

If it's a TC or a Lyman, I would buy it and shoot it. I have shot a few barrels that had minor pitting and couldn't really see a difference in accuracy. I guess if it is so badly rusted that you can't get a ball down it maybe but you could still use a Powerbelt. They will go down any barrel.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 07:16 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad
More background info needed. How rusted - surface or pits? Make / model of gun? Flint / percussion?
....and were they shooting pyrodex?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 07:49 PM
New Arrival

If its Lyman or TC it's prolly worth it even if the pitting is severe. If its one of the "economy brands" it may be worth the extra cash to buy a new one.
I've seen some pretty bad barrels clean up with steel wool and scotch brite. I have yet to play with one that would not group after some restorations efforts.
I've worked on a few for friends (traditions mainly)that were abused with both BP and 777. The rust and pitting was really bad. I worked the over with scotch brote and steel wool by hand and with a drill on a ramrod. The pitting can still be felt but accuracy was not effected.
There are some drop in barrels avaible for the TC and Lymans as well. If it's TC or Lyman and in good shape with the exception fo the barrel I would most likely take the chance. You can always part it out if you change your mind. Good luck!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 11:52 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSY93
Is it worth buying a mzl with barrel rusted inside for $150 otherwise in excellent cond?Not sure if it would need the barrel just replaced.Not sure what a brl would cost?
Odds are, no. Need more info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page