PA Conical Question! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

PA Conical Question!

Has anyone used Hornady 240gr Pa Conicals in a 1-48" twist bore?

Specifically a 26 inch, .50 Cal Renegade flintlock. I know they were designed specifically for round ball barrels but wondered if anyone has actually used them successfully in a faster twist barrel

If so, what was your load...Thanks, Mikail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:12 AM

Re: PA Conical Question!

They shoot very well out of my T/C Hawken.

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks Snood. What is your load?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 02:23 PM
The Man

90gr of 2f goex shoots them, or buffalo ballets very well in my renegade.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 05:51 PM

I shot them in my 1/48 Firestorm and they shot very well. Lighter, shorter projectiles are ideal in 1/48 twist. 90 grains of 2F.

I shoot 100 grains of 2F behind a 245 PB now.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 05:00 AM

I shoot the Buffalo Ball-ets (essentially the same thing..5gr heavier I believe..out of my TC Hawken...1:48 twist...

I found with 70gr it shoots same POI as 90gr and a patch n ball shoots from my rifle as far as Ive shot it...yes..heavier projectile..less powder..odd I know but somewhere someone made sense of it for me...

I found they shoot way better for me at 70gr too. Which is how I discovered they shoot same POI as found balls..dropped charges till they shot well...

I really like the performance...like a round ball they still don't usually leave much of a hole...but they pretty much always leave 2 of them...

A doe last year I shot quartering towards me HARD. Maybe 30yds from a 15ft ladder...it went in just behind the near shoulder (I was aiming for the joint but she moved slightly as the gun fired..or I just hit in inch left..).

She took off..obviously hit...

I watched her run to the edge of the hill and thought she was gunna go down..but it looked like her back left leg was dangling... I was sick...

I got down and found a bunch of hair...white belly hair...and bone...I've tracked a few deer...white hair obviously from the belly and bone which in my experience is indicative of a leg not had me sick..thought I grazed the belly and hit the leg..

How did I pull such a shot? Good rest..good range... Good ignition...shouldn't have missed that bad...?

I snuck to where I last saw her...not a drop of blood...leaves kicked up clearly from the dangling leg...

I got to where I last saw her and she was stone cold dead and slide down the hillside...

Found out my shot was perfect....but the penetration was crazy...

It went in high just behind the near shoulder...it exited right around where a buck would have certain parts..continued on breaking the far rear leg around the middle joint...

She was a very large doe..I was extremely impressed by the penetration...

Lack of blood...but an exit in the guts and a real high entrance will do that...

Not the end all...still gotta carefully follow up on shots...but like I said...I usually get 2 holes and most times blood is much better than a round ball...

The 2nd doe I shot last year bled well enough to follow without stopping at all...typical mid height lung shot...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

mauser, thats great information and some penetration from just a 70 grain charge but that 's probably the best as my shots are usually short. I never take a shot past about 50 yards or so during flintlock and never at a deer moving more than a walk.

I had a bad experience shooting a running deer when I first started hunting and that was with a 30-06. I have never done it since...Thanks for the detailed response.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page