Muzzle loader Misadventures - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Muzzle loader Misadventures

I've been hunting with a flintlock for a few years, still looking for my first kill with it. But I've made plenty of mistakes along the way.

I put together a story of some of them

<span style="color: #33CCFF">Muzzle Loader Misadventures</span>

What mistakes has everyone made while out with the smoke pole?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 01:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Muzzle loader Misadventures

Almost every mistake possible, still learning and fine tuning my efforts, but still no deer with my flintlock.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 02:17 PM
The Man

Got one years ago,(sometime in the 80's), with a borrowed TC Renegade in .54 and a PRB. Took it up again a few years ago and have not got one yet, but I don't always hunt. I have, with that Renegade I borrowed, used the set trigger and twice had it go off before I was on the deer, both time because I was wearing gloves.
I now own a Lyman Deerstalker and I was out shooting at the range and the part of my plastic short starter that you can thread a jag into came out as I was loading and I did not notice it. A lot more recoil than usual when I fired so I checked things out and saw that part was missing, so I had fired that and my Spinjag down range, I never found the jag or the other part so now I watch things a little more closely. Other then that I think just a few misses on deer.
Just remembered I broke a wooden ramrod on that Renegade, can't remember how, and bought a replacement one, because that's what you do when you borrow something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 04:28 PM

Well written. When I take my flinter out to target shoot or hunt the phrase "Thank God the British aren't coming". pops up in my mind sooner or later. Something always goes wrong. But hey, that part of the fun!

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 PM

Best one was I walked up on my dad while hunting. While still a few yards off I see him haul up. I waited until he fired and ran up. In the field(130 yards away) was a deer flopping. He yelled at me "give me your gun". I said "why? reload yours". He wouldn't say why he needed my gun, but insisted he needed mine to finish off the deer. I didn't want to have to reload as there were two and I knew right where the second was going. Finally he fessed up that in the moment he started the ball without dumping the powder out of his speed loader. There was the ball a 1/4" down the barrel with nothing behind it.

Wet powder is always a fun one. While we were putting on drives I was posted and thought I haven't checked my powder lately. It was damp and I had to clean out the pan. While I'm standing there with a basically unloaded gun an 8pt steps out on the trail and stands there, LOOKING AT ME! Of course as soon as I got the pan primed again it said "I gave you long enough" and ran off.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 10:46 PM
The Man

I often tell people that there is 2 ways to learn.
Learning thru others mistakes or learning by making your own!
Most I remember about muzzy hunting was hunting squirrels with the TC 32 cal.I had just missed a squirrel with it.While reloading and concentrating on squirrels location,I see something dripping from behind the limb.After loading and waiting the squirrel came around the tree and was shot.Ended up my 1st shot took the tip of the nose off and that's what the dripping was.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 10:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great short story, brought back some memories of my misadventures over the years.

Misadventures, makes success all the sweeter.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 01:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You bring back memories! I took a friend out years ago, his first time with the ML hunting. I took my video camera because the deer were like clockwork, so I knew we'd have action. It started to sleet, so I told him to make sure he keeps the gun covered under his coat. Right on time, here came three doe in a line walking along the path 10 yards away, Scott pulls the trigger and "CLICK"! Pulls the hammer back a 2nd and 3rd time, same result - NO SPARK. He opened his pan (and the deer are standing there the whole time), and it was black goo in the pan. I started laughing, and the deer finally ran. Always funnier when it happens to someone else!

Take an older friend hunting or fishing - they're the reason we do what we do!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 01:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I forgot to mention, all you see in the video is the deer standing there and his gun clicking in the background - then me laughing and the camera filming the ground.

Take an older friend hunting or fishing - they're the reason we do what we do!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 04:41 PM
New Arrival

1st year with Flint - 1st day daylight - inside 5 yards - missed...... it's been fun since - - i did manage to connect last day of season slightly longer shot... but not much. LOL

MAK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page