White Hair - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

White Hair

I was out this afternoon and was a stander on a drive and I took a shot at a doe standing broadside at 50 to 60 yards away. When the smoke cleared I saw her trotting away with her tail up in the air. I waited for the drive to finish and we went to where she was standing when I shot and found white hair and no blood.

Now I have been fortunate enough to harvest 4 deer with the flinter in the past and know first handed that a through and through double lung shot can pass through without leaving any blood or hair with the deer traveling over 100 yards before piling up.
One of the drivers said that it must have been a low belly shot and that's the reason for the white hair. Although I felt confident with my placement it is possible that the powerbelt hit a twig on the way. We searched for a quarter mile half radius and came up empty.

After seeing deer "dead on their feet" in the past I am uneasy and believe that she is expired.

My question is this.............. The white hair in question seemed to be full length hair. If I hit low on the belly wouldn't I either have
1. some sort of blood or
2. white hair that is significantly shorter that normal hair?
It got me wondering if it is possible for a deer to kick some white hair off with their hooves when they are hit....... kind of like when a person would slap their leg when bitten by a mosquito.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 09:54 PM
The Man

Re: White Hair

Belly hair is that long and a broadside shot, it's probably a lower belly shot.
It is possible that if it hit low enough, you did no harm. I should add it's also possible that you hit high enough to hit the guts and still get white hair. I would check around tomorrow.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: White Hair

I'm going to say that you shaved a little belly hair off. If you had hit high enough to get the guts, she wouldn't have ran off with her tail up. It would have been tucked tight between her legs and she would have been humped up in the middle. I would look around a bit more because you never know, but my guess is that she will see another day.

You can't get em from the couch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page