Help...Hit or Miss - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Help...Hit or Miss

Was out this morning... Saw tons of deer.. So I decided if I saw nice doe I would take her. Well had one come past me...stopped broadside under 10 yds...closer to 7. So I fired. She bucked a little then walked away...didn't run...walked. She was close enough to me that I could see her body well.There were no obvious wounds. Anyway thought for sure I had a dead deer...didn't even reload. Went to where she was standing...not a hair....drop of blood nothing. I walked the trail she went on....was 100 yds and she was laying under a pine. Took off like nothing was wrong. I went to where she was laying, which by now was almost two hours, not a drop of blood. Any ideas? I am at a total loss. Spent the next two hrs zigging and zagging...nothing??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 09:51 PM
The Man

Re: Help...Hit or Miss

Welcome to the wonderfull world of muzzleloading traditional style.It happens to all of us.You will miss deer at times at point blank range.My friend missed one a couple days ago at 20 feet broadside.I have done it also.Hey,at least your seein deer with plenty of action.I haven,t even pulled my hammer back yet in 4 days of huntin.Try to relax and do your best and follow thru to hold steady on target after you release the trigger.Great job on following up your shot.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Don't mind missing at all. Just not 100% sure I missed....and it has bothered me all day. I mean I did everything possible to find any indication of a hit...other than her odd behavior.... I don't know. Just looking for an outside perspective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I shot a doe with a 45 caliber patched round ball 2 years ago at 30 yards. I knew I hit her but could not find blood anywhere. fortunately I could track her based on leaves kicked up and she was lying dead 200 yards from where I shot her. Double lung hit and not a drop of blood on the deer or the ground anywhere. I have no idea how but I had two perfect holes through her and she did not bleed.

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:37 PM
The Man

Sounds like a clean miss to me. She probably just got startled from the bang and was not sure what it was or where it came from.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hope it was a clean miss. The other two took off Mach 4..she kind of just meandered about. I mean there were four of us who did everything possible to find any physical evidence of a hit. Just [censored]. Wish she would have ran off with the other two. That was the closest I have ever taken a shot at a deer...I am 42 and that is the first time with a gun I have ever missed. Bow...many times....long gun....first. It [censored]. Thx guys. Back at it tomorrow.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 09:37 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Deer do not walk away when you shoot at them 10yrds away. This sounds like you hit the deer in the guts {which happens}. Deer bucks the shot maybe runs a little walks away and then you see it laying under a tree. Now the deer saw you coming and took off. She is feeling very sick and will lay down and die under another tree {hemlock or pine} or will be in the thickest brush/pickers etc. She is probably within 300 yards of where you last saw her. If it happened like you said I bet you hit her in the paunch {which is fatal} and she will be laying in one of those places I mentioned. She will be hard to see but don't give up yet.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 11:36 AM

My thoughts were gutshot as well based on the reaction....

Shooting lead balls or even Conicals and most times you don't get much for holes...or blood...and I've had bad luck with 50cal roundballs not exiting which leaves one very small entrance hole...

Not sure what you were shooting...

Gut shots in themselves don't bleed a lot and are quick to clog the holes with stomach lining, intestine etc....

I'd definitely give the area a good search....
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 12:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I agree with the others, I'd bet on a gut shot. Lack of blood is something I've dealt with for 30 years shooting a flintlock. I have tried round balls, Powerbelt, Maxiballs, etc. and get the same result - no blood. I've shot them through the lungs, through the heart, and have had them go 100 yards and not have a drop of blood (and that was tracking in the snow), only to find them piled up on the ground. Gut shot causes them to move slow (imagine you getting punched in the stomach). From your description, that sounds like what happened. Sometimes there's that slight delay, so stay down on the cheekpad and follow through. Good luck and congrats on seeing deer - wish I could say the same!

Jay

Take an older friend hunting or fishing - they're the reason we do what we do!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 01:03 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkyman1
Deer do not walk away when you shoot at them 10yrds away. This sounds like you hit the deer in the guts {which happens}. Deer bucks the shot maybe runs a little walks away and then you see it laying under a tree. Now the deer saw you coming and took off. She is feeling very sick and will lay down and die under another tree {hemlock or pine} or will be in the thickest brush/pickers etc. She is probably within 300 yards of where you last saw her. If it happened like you said I bet you hit her in the paunch {which is fatal} and she will be laying in one of those places I mentioned. She will be hard to see but don't give up yet.
Exactly.That deer is gut shot.tHEY DON'T WALK AWAY AND THEN LAY DOWN 100 YARDS LATER WHEN YOU MISS THEM AY 10 YARDS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page