Trigger on TC PA Hunter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Trigger on TC PA Hunter

Just wonder if anyone has successfully lightened up the trigger on one of these or even changed the lock out to something with a lighter pull. I had mine checked this past week and it's averaging 9lbs.

It’s not how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Trigger on TC PA Hunter

I was just asking myself the same thing. I love the gun, but the trigger pull is ridiculous on them.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If I remember correctly, the PA Hunter was designed for the Pa. late Season cold weather, which is usually the case, unlike now. The higher weight single trigger and large triggerguard are for shooting with thick gloves on. With a thick glove, you need to press fairly hard to "feel" the trigger through it. If pull was light, you would trip the lock without "feeling" the trigger.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

With the larger trigger guard and the 1:66 twist I believe you are correct in that it was specifically designed for the late season in PA (before conicals were legal) . I just want to lighten the darn thing up a bit though.

It’s not how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 04:44 PM
Regular Visitor

When I bought mine new years and years ago, I thought the same thing. It was a heavy, rough, gritty pull. A file and honing stone smoothed things out significantly which made the pull feel lighter. One of the best trigger jobs is lots of shooting over time. My PA Hunter, after some honing and about ten years of shooting, is as nice as my Hawkins adjustable trigger.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 08:19 PM

polish the sear and change the spring mine broke at 3 lbs
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 08:50 PM

This is not advice on how to modify a trigger and I am not responsible for anything people do to their rifles. I did change the spring that pushes the sear back down when the rifle is fired. This spring is what the sear arm pushes against when you pull a single trigger on a TC flint lock. It's located in a small tube with a plunger pushing on the sear arm. I used a ball point pen spring. The stock spring could be shortened with the same effect by removing a bit of the spring until the trigger weight you want is reached.

Again; I not telling anyone to do it to their rifle; modifying any trigger will void the warranty and possibly create a dangerous condition and you will be responsible for your actions. A qualified gunsmith may or may not modify a lock and trigger.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 09:51 PM

That was my 1st flintlock back in 1990. The trigger is the reason I got rid of it. Tried everything to lighten the pull. The thin stamped trigger did not help either. Last thing I did to it was wrap the trigger with a few wraps of electrical tape to make a sort of trigger shoe. Did not lighten the pull anymore than I already did with internal work. But gave me more "leverage" and made me feel it helped. Can't say I miss that rifle though I kind of did like the looks of it.

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 10:47 PM

The trigger pull on mine was horrendous.....somewhere around 15lbs and gritty as it gets.
It is one of the early long barrelled pre-QLA models.
I punted the season after I bought it (1994) and corrected it like this......

T/C Renegade guard and trigger set....
I didnt do the work myself back then but it doesnt look too involved. A little minor inletting.
4 guys in our camp all coverted ours that same year and the function is terrific.
Shot a lot of deer with that thing before retiring it about 6 years ago. Finally found a good home for it with a nephew who needed a gun. Had it out last night for one last look, some instruction and one last pic before she walked out the door.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 11:35 PM

Both of the PA hunter triggers with the lighter springs in the lock are as good as any centerfire rifle I own. No creep; crisp and light. TC's best model sidelock rifle in my opinion. I love the stocks on them and any reasonably priced used ones I see will be bought. The new design hammer and frizzens for the locks are heads and shoulders above the old style lock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page