t/c firestorm ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

t/c firestorm ?

I have always wondered about the removable breech plug on the firestorm. T/C marketed as being able to shoot pellets with the cone shaped plug. I have never shot pellets and don't ever plan on shooting pellets. What I have wondered if it would be advantageous to cut or grind the cone off and the plug would be flat, if this would help with ignition speed?

Just curious if anyone has done this.

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: t/c firestorm ?

I don't use pellets just loose powder and don't have problems. I've heard that you can put a few grains of 4f behind pellets to speed up ignition. The problem seems to be igniting the pellets versus loose powder from what I heard.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I apologize. My explanation was not very clear. I don't use pellets. T/C marketed the firestorm and cone plug towards the use of pellets. I believe the idea was pan ignition thru the touch hole and fire around the cone with pellets on top was t/c's theory. My thought (and could be way off here) was that since I don't use pellets, to cut the cone off and possibly be more loose powder friendly. If that makes sense. Sorry for the confusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 02:21 PM

If you grind of the cone, I would assume the powder would sit in a different location in relation to the touch hole. It would probably fire slower as the touch hole would be in the middle of the charge.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 03:09 PM
The Man

I have used the standard 50-50 pellets when I had my F/Storm and I never had to pre prime the charge.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 03:27 PM

Most custom flintlock rifles have flat breech faces. For use with loose black powder, I can't see how it could hurt. For a range session involving many shots and wiping between shots, I think it will be a lot better, and work as well as it does on custom rifles.

Rich Deerhunter
Lock Haven, PA
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 01:41 PM

I use pellets and I feel it fires as fast as loose powder. Just make sure you put the dark side of the pellets in first!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Removing the cone will do nothing beneficial in my opinion. The cone lets more sparks in around the base of the pellets is the idea. If you use loose powder, it will just fill in around the cone similar to if there was no cone there. Getting rid of the cone would just allow your powder charge sit a slight hair lower in the breech end. But any future buyer of your Firestorm might not like that the cone was ground off. There may be other breech plugs that fit the Firestorm that would save you the grinding to experiment. I've shot both pellets and loose powder in my Firestorm, and find that a bit of pan powder (4F) tapped into the flash hole from the pan under the pellets helps with a quicker ignition. Loose powder seems to light right now as is. YMMV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page