Traditions deerhunter flintlock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Traditions deerhunter flintlock

Hi guys took the plunge and bought a flintlock my question is the guy gave me triple seven powder, can i use that or do i need pyrodex or the real deal? Ive got some 250gr traditions smackdown sabots. Ive got a powder measure, ball starter. Anything else i might need? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 10:20 PM

Re: Traditions deerhunter flintlock

Ive always used Goex powder. 4F for the pan and 3F for the main charge with a 490 prb sitting on top of that charge. You could use plastic film canisters for your pan charge. RMX makes plastic charge containers for the different calibers 45,50,54,and so on. You,re gonna like this new season you basically have the woods to yourself and theres still deer to be had with your new smokepole. Good luck with it.

9-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL F.D.N.Y.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 10:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You can use 777 same measure as black powder. Make sure your rod is marked for load. There is a tendency to get a little ring that will make it feel like your seated if you don't push hard enough. I usually swab with a patch wet with water between shots (followed by a dry one) if possible. Cleans out of the gun real easy at the end of a shooting day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 10:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I forgot to tell you it is real fine. I usually carry just premeasured charges in the speed loader because it gets past the powerbelts that I use.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

What load table should i go by for the triple 7. The pa pellet one or the literature that came with the deer hunter (it doesnt list pyrodex or triple 7) also i have some three f black powder will that work for my pan powder? And is there any way i can tell what type of black powder there is? I have a powder horn with black powdr in it and a powder flask with powder in it that was my dads
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 01:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Do you have something for the gun that gives you a load for black powder? It is volume equivalent.
I assumed you had loose powder not sticks.
Just don't exceed the maximum recommended load by the gun manufacturer. You will most likely be shooting lighter loads than that.
I never tried 3f in the pan but from what I've read from other guys on this is that it will give you slower ignition which is not what you want in a flintlock.
I'm not sure if you can tell the difference from black powder and pyrodex. I've never used pyrodex.
Maybe somebody else could answer that.
I know everything is volume equivalent not weight.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bea
Do you have something for the gun that gives you a load for black powder? It is volume equivalent.
I assumed you had loose powder not sticks.
Just don't exceed the maximum recommended load by the gun manufacturer. You will most likely be shooting lighter loads than that.
I never tried 3f in the pan but from what I've read from other guys on this is that it will give you slower ignition which is not what you want in a flintlock.
I'm not sure if you can tell the difference from black powder and pyrodex. I've never used pyrodex.
Maybe somebody else could answer that.
I know everything is volume equivalent not weight.
This is what was in my manual that came with the gun, nothing about sabots.

i pulled the manual for the pa pellet model from online and it shows sabot loads, can i go by this for the sabots and triple seven? About the black powder i have is there anyway i can differentiate the 1-4f granulations? I know its real black powder in the flask and powder horn just dont know what kind. I appreciate the help so far, i feel a little overwhelmed, i reload centerfire ammunition but this seems alot more difficult and dangerous.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 04:15 AM

This is what I would PERSONALLY do...

Dump out all the powder from the horns etc that you have no idea what it is....safely dispose of it...I think it makes a good fertilizer but maybe that was smokeless..anyways...you don't know what the heck it is....maybe it is smokeless and your essentially be holding a very large pipe bomb....is a $10 worth of lower worth that risk???

Then...I'd get REAL black powder...goes, swiss, scheutzen etc...real black powder...2 or 3f for the barrel and 4ff for the pan.

Real black powder ignites easier/at lower temps..

The new substitutes...even if your flintlock was so "designed" still work best with real black powder...

The traditions deer hunters are IMO entry level flintlocks and usually cause more people to quit hunting with a flintlock than to become addicted to it...the locks aren't great..they work...and for the price they can't be beat...I mean they do go off and kill deer...

By adding a BP substitute to them you are IMO setting up for failure...

My 2 cents...

Safety is huge when playing with powder of any kind....

And when it comes to flintlock you gotta have a good fast ignition to make an accurate shot...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page