T/C Encore shooting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
The Man

T/C Encore shooting

I have a stainless T/C encore .50 cal inline. I have been entertaining hunting deer in some other states with it. My problem is that of all the weapons I use I am the LEAST proficient with my flinter and inline.
I hear all kinds of stories if folks harvesting deer at over 100 yards with their Encores. But honestly, I can't even get a satisfactory group at 50 yards with mine. I'm lucky if I can hold a 6 inch 5 shot group at 50 yards sometimes and I'm mostly shooting the tipped 295 grain powerbelts with triple seven powder and Winchester 209 primers.

So I am looking for lot's of advice. What powder, bullets, primers and loads are you guys shooting. What kind of groups are you getting. How often do you clean between shots? What do I need to be doing to improve my groups to be able to confidently shoot to 100 yards.
All help is welcomed and appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 11:34 AM
The Man

Re: T/C Encore shooting

Don't know much about the Encore but this may help.

http://www.eabco.com/EncorePin.html
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 12:03 PM
The Man

Another thing you might look at is, how much powder are you using. A full mag load of 777 is popular but sometimes it's best to back off the load to 80 to 90 grains.
You may also want to try some other bullets or maybe some sabots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 12:18 PM
Part of the Community

i'm shooting Hodgdon triple seven 50/50 pellets, 100 Gr.Vol. equivalent. and a Hornady 250 gr.SST Copper bullet. CCI #209 primer.. Very accurate!!! this combo at 100 yards is a 1- 2" groups. i've shot at 200 yards with 3" groups.
scope is a Simmons Atech 3x9 40mm.
I will use this gun before a slug shotgun anyday!!! Only drawback is one shot, make first one count!!!

Chartiers valley#725 F&AM
NMLRA,HCH,CLA,
Forest Grove Sportsmen
Sewickley S & F Club
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 01:10 PM
The Man

The above post made me think of another possibility and that is, if you are using a scope did you check the bases, mount and rings for tightness, or the scope itself could be bad.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 01:27 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58
I have a stainless T/C encore .50 cal inline. I have been entertaining hunting deer in some other states with it. My problem is that of all the weapons I use I am the LEAST proficient with my flinter and inline.
I hear all kinds of stories if folks harvesting deer at over 100 yards with their Encores. But honestly, I can't even get a satisfactory group at 50 yards with mine. I'm lucky if I can hold a 6 inch 5 shot group at 50 yards sometimes and I'm mostly shooting the tipped 295 grain powerbelts with triple seven powder and Winchester 209 primers.
Try 80 grains 777 and use a fiber wad between the powder and Powerbelt bullet. You are good for harvesting, out to 150 yards, using a 295+ grain non-lead Powerbelt. Copper HPs and Platinums are what I use.... only models of Powerbelts I trust.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...28100-Pack%29-

In primers, Winchester 209s, Federal 209A and CCI-M(ag) are the hottest and most popular on the market. Swab after every two shots with those. Otherwise 777 will produce a crud ring inside your bore.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 01:53 PM
The Man

I switched from 777 to Blackhorn 209 loose powder in my inline, much cleaner burning.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 03:20 PM

I've never shot an honest group with my Black Diamond? When checking the sights I clean between every shot since I figure it is the only one that counts with a muzzleloader?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 11:21 PM
New Arrival

i always used the triple 7 pellets, so 2 pellets (100gr total) and 250 gr tc shockwave bullets, i can cut holes with mine at 75 yards, i line mine in 1 inch high at 50 yards, have shot deer out to 150 with it
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 11:24 PM
New Arrival

and i clean every 3 shots, a guy i know has a encore, uses the same load, but he always lines his in about a day before season because he says he has to shoot 5 shots out of it until it gets accurate, then he leaves it uncleaned til the end of season. personally mine always shoots good, but i know if i clean my 270, it will scatter bullets until i get about 10 thru it then i can cut holes with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page