Conical ball stuck--help! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Conical ball stuck--help!

Well I just had to open my trap on the forums the other day about how I like conicals but the fouling can be an occasional challenge. For the 1st time ever I broke a conical off in the last 6" of my Lyman today while trying to pull it to clean for the opener tomorrow. Merry Xmas to me....lol.

After several attempts it appears the puller screw dug right through the center of the conical and now I have a "ring" of conical lodged in the barrel. Any thoughts/suggestions on how best to remove? I thought this gun had a removal breech but if it does I can't see the screw well not can get it out.

Appreciate any insight.

I live to hunt....and hunt to live!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Conical ball stuck--help!

I had to pull one out of my son's Traditions yesterday. the ball puller I had was a joke. So I went to the hardware store and got a 1/4 inch threaded rod with coupling and a 1/4 tread by 1/4 lag and screwed it through the TC Hunter and ended up using a hammer to get it to come out. The ball puller works on round ball but is worthless on a conical due to the amount of contact to the barrel. Good luck.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 06:47 PM
The Man

If there is a charge in the barrel RESEAT the conical and try firing.
If there is no charge in,try removing the touch hole and working some powder in.Replace touch hole,reseat,and fire.
The dirtiness is from a poor seal from the conical and bore.
Never remove or try to remove the breech plug.A tool is needed to grab the breech on flat sides.If you ever saw Dixons do it they also use a LONG pipe with the tool.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 07:49 PM

I don't think that conical is going to go much of anywhere with a hole down through the center 410-er. I don't really know what to say. I would definitely try Clay's idea, tap a decent size screw through the lead and pull up. Not much else to do for it I would think!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 08:15 PM
The Man

Key word "TRY".

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Yeah that's my thoughts...with the "donut" ring I'd think the charge would push right through it. I did however have a buddy comment to another thread that said he did the same thing years ago, but he forget to put the charge in (tried to pull, rounded it out, poured powder thru flash pan hole and it cleared). We'll see, I've never had this issue before.....I may be fubar

I live to hunt....and hunt to live!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 11:25 PM
The Man

Try . . .Another option is working a cotton wad/patch in the removed touch hole and pushing foward toward the conical with a wire.then add some powder behind that.RESEAT.You are trying to clog that hole up with enough resistance to push it out.
Try with out 1st and go from there.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 02:55 AM
Frequent Contributor

Rubber tipped nozzle on your air compressor....works great to unload after the season!!!

16-17 numbers
fox 0
coons 8
coyotes 1
mink 0
muskrat 0
beaver 0
opossum 1
skunk 1
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 08:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410-er
If there is a charge in the barrel RESEAT the conical and try firing.
If there is no charge in,try removing the touch hole and working some powder in.Replace touch hole,reseat,and fire.
The dirtiness is from a poor seal from the conical and bore.
Never remove or try to remove the breech plug.A tool is needed to grab the breech on flat sides.If you ever saw Dixons do it they also use a LONG pipe with the tool.
Why don't you ever want to remove the breech plug?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The breech plug is a force on the charge, to keep it from blowing your cheek off. The charge and projectile go the less resistive path to the muzzle, because the plug is a "wall" or block to it.

A non-removeable plug is "timed", as in it will become snug against the bore inside, when the tang (bar at top) or hook is upright. When first installed, it is put in and taken out, and a small amount filed off the inside end. Continue taking a little at a time, then torque it in, until the tang or hook is upright.

If you take it out, and put it back in a few times after it has been timed/final torqued in place, the threads will loosen up or distort, and the next tightening will go past upright. Now the tang/hook is not in place where it should be. Which will screw up the barrel fit to the wood channel.

Or if you align them to being "timed" (upright), it might not be snug enough because of the thread distortion, and powder can get to the thread area between plug face and bore. Rust will form in there because a patch cant get to it.

And a loose/untorqued plug is a danger to the shooter.

Hope it doesn't sound too confusing! I tried to explain it with a tang for non-removable, or a hook for a removable barrel.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page