Improved Spark on TC Lock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Improved Spark on TC Lock

I have had a few TC Locks and have not been really impressed with the sparks they throw. I replaced my one Renegade lock with an L&R and Can't say enough about the performance of that thing. It really works good but I have another Renegade that I built from a kit and didn't want to cut into the stock. So today I tried a Lyman Frizzen after reading some of the posts on here. My TC lock is an older one. I had to drill out the frizzen hole to 9/64" and grind down the sides of the tab where the hole is to get it to fit in my lock. I also had to grind back the pivot point where it rides on the spring to get it to stay tight over the pan.

I had sent this lock back to Thompson a few years back to have it looked at because it was not sparking and they installed a new frizzen. I think it actually worked worse after they got done with it. When I was installing the Lyman frizzen, it was loose when it pivoted. I came to find out that the frizzen spring was catching on the lock plate and needed a little bit of relief to flex freely.

After that and the slight adjustment to the pivot point, I'm getting lots of spark and I am very happy with the Lyman frizzen. I would recommend this mod if you are not happy with your TC lock performance and you don't want to bore out your stock for the L&R lock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 11:22 PM
The Man

Re: Improved Spark on TC Lock

The early TC locks(top)did more smashing than shaving.They were replaced with more symmictrical ones.(Bottom)I still have some of both.
Pictures by t410er, on Flickr
It also helps to clean the frizzen with alcohol and use a good flint of Black English,French Amber,or American Chert.
Pictures 227 by t410er, on Flickr
With these flints I'm getting around 80 shots.If dulled in the field I can do a reverse knap and get about 10 more shots.
Keep the flints about 1/16"-1/32" from the frizzen.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 11:56 PM

Tried that myself....helped...but I think the new hammer with the Lyman frizzen may be the way to go....

I still have my TC lock with updated hammer..I'm gun a get another Lyman frizzen and fit it...

As a spare....incase my L&R dies some how....

The L&R was pricey....but after shooting it I knew I made a good move...

After this season she is getting a new stock...and I might put a white lightning in the touch hole....

I butchered my stock badly when trying to fit the L&R...

I love the gun too much to NOT get it back in tip top shape...

Even when I get a full blown custom... My Hawken will always be my Hawken...

I've really had good luck with mine going off/sparking...but improving it certainly can't hurt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 01:56 AM
Regular Visitor

Thanks, 410-er. It seems that I have a renegade with the "old" style lock.. It eats flints and will hardly spark at all now. I'm having a Lyman frizzen put on it and hoping that gets me through flintlock season.

ETA: mine is a 54 cal version
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

Question on the L&R's: How is your trigger pull on those after fitting them to your TC's. I installed on on my Firestorm in the off season and mine is terrible. Measures over 8 lbs. I'm half tempted to put the TC lock back on as it still does fit; although not perfectly anymore due to my sloppy inlaying work.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 11:44 AM

Never had issues on my Hawken or Firestorm.

How much work is involved in modifying the Lyman frizzen? I'll be doing that to both guns in a year or so.

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 12:24 PM
The Man

Lyman frizzens give nicer spark.Keep your old TC frizzen as if you send the lock back,put it on or they will replace it with another TC frizzen.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

My L&R is on a Renegade with a set trigger. I want to install one on a single trigger and was wondering about the trigger pull. The Lyman frizzen is easy to fit. Took me less than an hour but a good piece of that was working with my frizzen spring.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I took mine to the range today to test out the lock. I'm not to happy to report that it does not work on my gun. I figured it might be a problem after installation that the touch hole did not line up perfectly with the pan. After a few misfires where the pan burned but didn't fire the charge, I took it off and luckily the old lock still works. I believe the lock I purchased was for a hawkin or renegade but was supposed to be compatable to the firestorm. It isn't. If anyone is looking for this model pm me.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 02:39 AM

My L&R didn't change the trigger pull that I've noticed.....?

I didn't know they made one for the firestorm...or if the firestorm is interchangeable with the Hawken/renegade...

With the removable breech and synthetic stock sounds like things just don't line up right...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page