Lyman quality? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Lyman quality?

Was pretty dead set on getting a brand new Lyman GPR Hunter today until I looked at it. The quality left alot of doubt in my mind. Barrel had a lot of the drilling oil along with some shaving in it. I can understand metal being covered with some oil to prevent rust but why would they have not cleaned it out. Also the sights look like someone made them at home. The rear notch had a lot burrs on it and was just blacked over without cleaning it up. I knew I was probably going to get s fiber site for but the iron front and rear notch almost seem unshootable
Just wondering what everyone's experience are with Lyman quality? Along the the severe weight forward balance (which is common in most muzzleloader but seems very bad in this model) not sure what I going to buy. Loolking for a high twist barrel so not many options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 04:55 PM
The Man

Re: Lyman quality?

Being a bigger guy,I liked the GPR better than the Deer Stalker.I have both TC's and Lymans and like both.
If you find not liking the quality,save up for a custom.There is no comparison.Dixons have some decent customs on the ceiling for $1,000+.
Once you have a custom,a production rife just doesn't feel the same.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 04:55 PM

I had a Lyman GPR years ago and the fit and finish of the rifle was superb. When I bought it I do recall that the bore was very dirty with cutting oil and what I think was some sort of rust inhibiting stuff. I don't remember finding any thing on or in the rifle as you have described. I believe that the ROT in mine was 1 x 66 and it was a .50 that was for PRB. Maybe the Lyman quality has gone down over the years or perhaps the one you looked at got by final QC?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You are not the first to question Lyman's quality recently, especially since TC quit building sidelocks. It is constantly mentioned on a few other forums, and from what I have read, it's a coin flip. Had one thread that showed a Deerstalker bore with a light down it, and a screw sticking into the bore from sight mounting. Lyman Rep. told him to file the screw... on a newly purchased gun.

Lyman only has competition from Traditions and Pedersoli in the factory built and the "final finish and assemble" kit market. Those two are the high and low $$, with Lyman floating in the middle. And since inlines came out, the sidelock market has went way down. Most state hunting regs. just say "muzzleloader", so inlines are legal, and as accurate as a CF rifle.

Alas, Flintlocks are a slowly dying breed of weapon for regulated hunting. But for us dark-side dwellers who like holding onto our Pa. roots, smelling burnt blackpowder, and enjoy taking the rocklock for a walk!

As for an option, there are a couple RMC Accusporters on here that I would take over a GPH. Both the RMC and GPH are for shooting sabots with a fast twist barrel. The RMC has a Green Mt. barrel (some with a removeable breechplug for easy cleaning), L&R Lock (better than any factory gun lock), and laminated stock. And in the same relative $$ range as a GPH.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 10:46 PM
The Man

Makes me not even want to buy one NIB sight unseen.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

They are heavy on the front end but that's to be expected with that type of rifle. If you want something lighter you could go with a T/C PA hunter if you can find one. Dixon has a lot of long rifles to chose from. Best to stop in and look at what they have. Only problem there is you will find out what good quality looks and feels like and what it costs to own one. Good hunting

God, Family, Country in that order.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 11:13 PM

I would not buy one sight unseen!! I have an older, 20Years , GPR in Percussion. Have had not one issue with it. I bought a newer GPR Flintlock and it was nothing but troubles! Had to send it back a couple of Times before getting it shootable. Sold it and bought an older Deerstalker and it shoots good and goes off dependably.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 09:11 AM

I have a flint GPR that I built from a kit. It ended up being a nice looking rifle. The lock and barrel (1 in 66") work well. Yes, it is heavier than what I expected. These rifles are made by Investarms in Italy, who also makes the Cabela's "Hawken". I have found their locks to be reliable sparkers.

Rich Deerhunter
Lock Haven, PA
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 02:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

I haven't been to Dixon's in a while but that would be a good place to buy a Lyman if you were concerned about quality. Last I knew, he did warranty work for Lyman. I'd be confident that a gun he sold would be right before it went out the door.

Probably 10 years ago, I stopped in to Dixon's with my father's Lyman Deerstalker. It was a catalog order from Walmart. It has a heavy trigger and I hoped Dixon could lighten it some. He checked the trigger but would not do anything to it. What he did do was re-inlet the lock at no charge. He pointed out the gap between the lock and barrel that let powder fall in behind the lock. He said he had to fix that on quite a few guns he sold.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

pretty much a done deal. Not buying a Lyman. Paying 600 for a gun and then having to replace the sights and clean up the quality issues is like buying a new car and having to fix the motor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page