Pa Conical Bullet - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Pa Conical Bullet

Anyone use it i have a Lymans Great plains rife, with a slow 1 in 66 twist, have been shooting round balls .490. Anyone have any experience with them? I like how you do not need any patches, just powder and put down the Conical.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 10:09 PM
The Man

Re: Pa Conical Bullet

I have killed deer with both conicals and RB's.With conicals you DO run the risk of having it slide off the charge.It DOES happen especially if you carry muzzle down.Results it is now an obstruction that will ring a barrel or worse.
You can use them.They kill deer.Use caution and check to make sure it is seated often!
I have found no difference in ability of either to kill.A deer will NOT live with a 1/2" hole in the heart or lungs!

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

what patches do you recommend for roundballs?

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 11:01 PM

I just shot a few on Sunday in my TC PA hunter. The lube on them caused some real bad fouling and they wouldn't stay on the charge in my barrel. Just withdrawing the ramrod after pushing it on the charge would pull it off. I was testing it without the jag on the rod and it moved off the charge all 3 times.

I did shoot them but made sure the barrel was tilted so they couldn't slide off. Accuracy was 2x the size of the 3 balls I shot after. The fouling was horrible with the conical; really thick and hardly any with the patched ball.

If you use them keep an eye on it. I don't see the risk vs. reward of it.

I use .017 to .020 patches for ball. Each barrel will have a preference in ball size and patch size. Lube matters as well. Keep testing till you find what it wants.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 09:40 PM
The Man

Your Lyman Great Plains will probably like a .018-.020 patch and a .490 or .495 RB.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 11:53 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Geez, I've shot about 100 or so out of a Lyman GPR and never had one move while hunting, and I checked periodically. Never had one move at all. I could get about 4 shots before it need to be cleaned to be able to load, shooting 90gr 2F.

Guess I was just lucky.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 09:53 AM

I've never had one move either but I do wipe most of the factory lube off. There seems to be way more then needed on them from factory. Imho

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 12:05 PM

My Uncle, when He lived out West, would put a couple in His Pocket to be used as a quick follow up shot if needed.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 12:27 PM

That's the thing with muzzleloader barrels; they are not all the same exact size like centerfires are. Some are a little tighter bores than others. Were talking .001 maybe .002 difference. Just enough to make a conical fit snug and not move vs. too loose to stay on the charge. I wish mine were tighter but it's not so I use what works best and that's a ball and patch.

If they stay on the charge and give good accuracy use them. I can't from my barrel. People just need to be aware that if it doesn't stay on the charge it's dangerous. In the muzzle loader game more weight is the way to get more power and 240 grains vs. 177 grains is a good bit more thump.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 12:30 PM

I shoot a TC Hawken and Buffalo Ball-ets. Essentially the same as the PA conical (no longer made as far as I know).

I have shot deer with patched balls and the ball-et. I will continue to shoot the ball-et in the 50cal...

Why?

Penetration. I just wasn't seeing it with the balls. They killed deer. Never had much of an issue...but I don't think I ever had one exit...and blood trails were extremely spotty at best...

The Ball-ets are difficult to stop. I'm not sure if I've recovered any from a deer...

Last year one of the doe I shot...I was in a 15ft ladder stand..she was maybe 30yds away...quartering toward me hard..nearly facing me...I put the sight on the near shoulder and as I squeezed she took a step which turned her more quartering and less facing...

Bullet went in just behind the point of the shoulder...it came out between her rear legs..it then took out the rear left leg shattering it in the knee area...

That is impressive in my book...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page