CVA Trophy Hunter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

CVA Trophy Hunter

Hey, should be buying a use CVA trophy hunter this week, and was wondering where to start on getting a good accurate load for it. Have shot friends flintlocks before but never have owned one. What are some recommendations on powder, sabots, balls etc
Thanks

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 12:41 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: CVA Trophy Hunter

try the sabots,i had one and used round ball and they never seemed to group very well at all,always wanted to try the sabots but never did,i ended up selling the cva because it shot terrible
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 01:32 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Stick with real blackpowder for now. Go to the sporting goods store and look for sabot/bullets in prepackages from either Traditions, CVA, T/C or Knight. You want 44 or 45-cal sabot/bullets between 240 and 300 grains. Buy two different kinds. Your CVA ML may be fussy over which one it likes - or may not be.

Start-off with 70 grains if it's 300 grain bullets. If it's 240/250 grain bullets, begin with 80 grains of powder. You want a semi-snug fit going down the bore, not a bullet with no resistance on the ramrod. You also don't want a bullet that creates a big struggle seating it.

Lastly, no grease, oil or bore butter in the barrel when loading. You want a dry barrel. 91% rubbing alcohol will remove all the storage oils. Fire three caps/primers before loading the first bullet. Swab lightly after each shot using that alcohol, followed by a dry patch. A small spray bottle will work best. Or you can grab the blue Windex from the kitchen. You don't want to clean the bore after each shot, just lightly wet swabbing, followed by dry patches.

Keep your nipple or breechplug clear. A medium-sized safety pin will help things there. Both ends of the breechplug must remain clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

This is a flintlock, would it be best to still use a clean barrel with no grease or lube.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 03:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

When shooting sabots, yes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page