Kit? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Kit?

anyone have experience with a kit? I am looking to build a long rifle and by build I really mean assemble. I have been looking at the traditions kits but I can't seem to find any long rifle flinters. I have been on track of the wolf but they are little steep with my small budget and limited experience. Any suggestions in the $300 range?

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Kit?

track of the wolf's "kits" are a piece of wood with the barrel channel and the lock roughed out and a box of unfinished part. they are about a 200 hour project(I'm working on one now). $300 is probably going to tough.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

The last one I built from a kit was from Dixie Gun Works,but I doubt you will find any there in your budget range. It was a 32cal flint long rifle and is an excellent shooter.Stock was inletted but needed work,all metal parts needed work but nothing extensive and of course all metal and wood needed a finish of your choice applied.Did not keep track of time spent on the kit assembly ,but it was way more than a weekend undertaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 10:30 AM

When I built my first rifle 25 years ago, you could buy components to build a rifle for $300-$400. Today, those same parts will be $600 and up.

Rich Deerhunter
Lock Haven, PA
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 10:31 AM

I was taking a look at this adventure as well and after seeing a you tube presentation in about 9 parts detailing a build I decided to save my money and have one built for me. It's way more involved than I had anticipated and the cost for additional tools that I would need, and probably never use again, was just to much. I don't mean to discourage you, but this is a project that takes money + time + patience + skill and not a small amount of research relative to the process. There is not much about this that is intuitive and a builder who is not aware of the potential problems is also in for a rough time.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good advise here. Building a longrifle is quite an undertaking, and Jimsdad spells it out very clearly. I'm not sure what is available in the $300. range, but most kits containing quality parts are double that from Track of the Wolf, TVM, etc. And, a quality gun starts with quality parts. Take your time deciding. I've started and finished eight, and have another rifle one third completed, and I didn't start this "hobby" until I retired some years ago.

Best wishes with whatever you decide.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

thanks for all the great advice. I am starting to think my ambitions far outweigh my skill and budget. I will have to step back from this idea I believe.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 04:50 PM

This is the link to the You Tube build I mentioned earlier. There are several parts if you care to step through them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJBNg_NLASA

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 10:00 PM
The Man

There are still a lot of those TC kits new in box still layin around.I think you would enjoy building one of those and it would be well within your skill level and budget.All of the inlettin and bluin is done and just final finishin and fittin is required.Put a wanted ad on here.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
There are still a lot of those TC kits new in box still layin around.I think you would enjoy building one of those and it would be well within your skill level and budget.All of the inlettin and bluin is done and just final finishin and fittin is required.Put a wanted ad on here.
thanks I might just try that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page