Sights for Lyman FL - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sights for Lyman FL

I am looking at getting a Lyman Great Plains Hunter in the next couple of weeks and will be replacing the iron sights. I was looking at the Lyman 57 peep and some sort of fiber optic sight in the front. I found a tru glo globe for the front that they don't make anymore except for a dovetail version for air guns which won't work.
Anybody have any recommendations or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 03:25 PM
The Man

Re: Sights for Lyman FL

I would think the fiber optic sight they have on the Deerstalker rifle would work for you, no globe though.
Looks like they only sell them as a set, rear and front, best price here:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/lyman-fi...s-3090145.html
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 02:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I bought a Williams peep sight last year for the one I'm building. The front sight is red fibre optic.
I don't remember where I got it from but it was online and took a lot of searching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Be careful, I just purchased a set of Lyman sight's for my Lyman Deerstalker from optic planet. Waited over a month to get them and the front sight didn't fit. I ended up using the new rear sight and the old front sight. I was very disappointed . I would have thought Lyman should have done a better job of fitting I think they knew the front would not fit because they said it might need filling. Didn't work for me. Have you ever tried filling a dove tail fitting to fit. It was a waist of money for a poorly designed sight and was never told until after it was bought and paid for.
It wasmamtotal rip.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:37 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Mike
Have you ever tried filling a dove tail fitting to fit.
Do it all the time on ML barrel blanks. Hack saw, chisel, and file after careful measuring for the dovetail. I can appreciate it being unnerving and the feeling of being in over your head. Understandable.

A gunsmith or someone local who is into the ML building hobby can help you fit it. It's a common chore when fitting a different dovetailed sight. Lyman would be looking at it that way.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 11:59 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I guess I didn't do a very good job of making the point that after reading the specs for the sight, I was convinced that it fit the deerstalker. It was listed that way on the advertisement. It should have fit with no alteration. Not everyone may have the experience of doing it multiple times or have the tools to do it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 03:26 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Mike
I guess I didn't do a very good job of making the point that after reading the specs for the sight, I was convinced that it fit the deerstalker. It was listed that way on the advertisement. It should have fit with no alteration. Not everyone may have the experience of doing it multiple times or have the tools to do it.
From deer stakler to deer stalker there can be a width/depth variation large enough (doesn't take much)to make it difficult to sell a dovetailed sight to fit all perfectly. Imagine getting one that is just a hair too small. So they sell one that will work ..a little big that probably requires filing. I can see Lymans side of it and also your side. You perceived a perfect "drop in."

Filing is a common requirement with new dovetails. Each sight really needs to be fitted to the rifle it is going into.

Take it to a gunsmith. It's not a big job and shouldn't cost too much. Getting it the way you want it is the goal. Good luck with it and hunting too!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 12:12 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The front dovetail is a metric equivalent to .360" on European guns vs. .375" standard for american made guns. The only lyman front peep I know of that fits is the 17AEU.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...75/1/FS-17-AEU

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/s...series-17a.php

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page