Alternatives to patch and ball - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Alternatives to patch and ball

Hi group. I realize when u shoot a smokepole you want to be as authentic as possible and shoot patch and ball. However I've never had good luck with this. Has anyone had success with a sabotted slug?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Banned

Re: Alternatives to patch and ball

Yup. I have. Switched last year.
Think they are Hornady 200 gr sabot. I use them from my flinter. Barrel is 1/66 and still shoot good. Load easy and cleanup is easy to. Lost 2 deer last year. No blood to track. Found them a few days later. Both had lung shots but ran and no blood to follow. The slugs drop them pretty quick. Gonna use slugs this year to.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 05:28 PM
The Man

Not successful at groups?
Not successful at recovery?
With 19 muzzleloaders I've tried lots and stick with real Blackpowder,patch,and ball.
Nothing lives with a 1/2" hole in the heart or lungs no matter what it was made with.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

My preference for about 6 years now has been either the Hornady 240gr Pa. Conical, or the Buffalo Ballet of the same weight. I do prefer the Buffalo Ballet because they use a dry lube vs. the gack that Hornady uses for their lube.

Either one goes down the tube easy enough, requires no patch or sabot, and for the short shots taken with the flinter, the 240gr hits harder than any 180gr round ball can. Reloading is fast and easy as well.

I find these conical's deadly, easy to load, and consistently accurate as there is no patch to slip during the reload.

FWIW
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 07:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

As far as accuracy, it will all depend on the twist first. Secondly what kind of ignition. I can't see a FL or PL delivering enough velocity to get a whole lot of expansion out of anything. So a PBR or Maxi Ball is going to give you roughly the same performance. A big hole, with a ton of kinetic energy at reasonable ranges. An inline with a hollow point should expand. A shot in the "boiler room" out of any of them should shut things down quickly. Anything else is personal preference.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:47 PM
The Man

Depth of rifling determines what to shoot more than twist.Thats why In-Lines have very shallow rifling and like conicals.Lymans are the deepest that like patches of .018-.020.TC's are not cut as deep and like .015 patches.Patches that are not thich enought give poor powder burn and diry barrels/hard loading.
Slower twists lets you burn more powder accurately.I have a 32 cal with a 1:30 twist.With 20grs of powder,patch RB,and squirrel head are no problem out to 30yds.
Be concerned more with where you hit them with that 1st shot out of a clean barrel.
More and bigger is not always better.I have a 58cal that likes 120grs(high sweet spot)on down to a 45's that like 50grs.Deer killed with the 45 RB(133grain)are just as dead as those killed with the
58 RB (278grain).I have more bang/flops with the 45's.I feel the deer feels a slower moving ball more than the bigger cals.
If PA would allow the 36cal to be used on deer,I know I could kill them with it and a RB.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:47 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410-er
With 19 muzzleloaders I've tried lots and stick with real Blackpowder,patch,and ball.
Nothing lives with a 1/2" hole in the heart or lungs no matter what it was made with.
X2
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 410-er
X2
X3

I've shot deer for 25 years with my .62 smoothbore (325 gr prb), with 70 grains of 3f. if hit in the ribs, pass through(5/8" hole) or if in the shoulder, a lot of damage and down!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have some 50-cal muzzleloader conicals for sale in the Classifieds here.

Muzzleloader conicals for sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page