Bergara and T/C 209x50 barrel problems - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Bergara and T/C 209x50 barrel problems

Anybody shooting one on their Encore? I finally got to the range to site my Encore w/ Bergara barrel and Leupold Ultimate Slam scope. The results were very unpleasing as I could not get any kind of group to even sight in better than a 6" group. Shooting off bags, 250 gr yellow Shockwaves and 2 777 pellets, cleaning every shot.

Was going to hunt with it this year as my main rifle however it will not leave the gun safe at this point!

Anyone have any ideas or experience with the barrel?

Mathews Z7 29" 69#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:03 PM

Re: Bergara 209x50 barrel

more than likely needs a new sabot. If they load fairly easy kiss accuracy goodbye. Also the pellet reports this week have been just that.. Weak, inconsistent.

Your barrel is top notch. Try an mmp-12 short black sabot with your SW. Maybe even a 300gr xtp mag. You know the name of the game! What worked in the last barrel most likely wont work in the new one.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:11 PM

Dusty,

My CVA Bergara absolutely drives tacks. If you are shooting 100 grains of 777 and a 250 bullet then I would say your overdriving that round. Try using 777 loose and dropping to 70 grains powder, or try jumping up to a 290-325 grain bullet. Also, I am not familiar with that Leupold scope but is it made for shotgun or muzzleloader? Sometimes the heavy vibration of the shotgun and muzzleloader and can loosen mounts or knock standard rifle scopes out.

Just some ideas, hope they help,

GBJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:50 PM

Ditch the pellets. They are way too finecky. If you do not have the ball seated the entire way then they won't shoot right. If they are seated too far and you crack them then they fire like a roman candle. Loose powder is definatly alot more forgiving.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Keep the ideas coming for load combos. I know the barrel is to be top notch but I just could not beleive the poor accuracy. I was hoping to get a tack driver. The scope is similar to the Nikon Omega and is made for the muzzleloader.

Mathews Z7 29" 69#
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 12:52 AM

6" isnt that bad. Sabots are like that though, if its not the right match up, accuracy isnt going to be tight.

I really think the xtp/ short black mmp12 combo will do you good. Even the hornady sst with supplied sabots may do you well.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 02:46 AM
Regular Visitor

6" at 50 or 100 yds?
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 AM

If I ever had a gun that could only hold a 6" group it would be in the trash can. it should be able to shoot a one hole group at 100 yards. Another thing that you may want to try is a heavier ball. I personally prefer the 295gr power belts. Nice thing about them is the ball is actually sealing in the rifling.

This just hit me but did you make sure that your scope is locked down? If it came loose then that will throw you group out of wack.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

I'm using the same sabot/bullet combo but loose 777 (100gr.) in my Encore with the TC barrel. No issues with groups.
I was looking at that brand of barrel in 243 and a guy said there was head spacing issues with that brand. Don't know if that matters. I'm gonna take the chance though for the price.

Now, the primers may be an issue. Some of the 209 primers actually "move" your powder charge before it actually fires the main charge. This was the case with my uncles Triumph. He tried 3 different primers and the Federal Fusion 209 were the ones that produced the best groups. The difference between the different types was at least 3".

Hope this helps!!
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

So I lied and looked at the targets again this morning, it's more like a 10" group! Checked everything for tightness multiple times. It just means I am forced to take the day off today to go get some different bullets and head the the range again to get this thing worked out, it's killing me and I want to use it as a club right now!

And this is not my first go round with a ML but is with the inline. I have worked with every gun I own reloading to optimize accurracy, guess this will be no different!

Mathews Z7 29" 69#

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page