Need Powder Measurement Help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Need Powder Measurement Help

Need some professional help before I go out and blow myself (or my new inline) up!

I have an older brass adjustable powder measure with no number markings just groves. I always thought it was 50-120 grains

well today I went to Cabelas and picked up a package of Buckhorn 209 powder tubes.

I go to pour my brass measured 100 grains into the tubes and it only goes up to the 80 grain mark on the tube.

Which one one is right???

If guns kill people,then pencils mispell words, cars make drunks drive,& spoons make fat people fat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 11:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Need Powder Measurement Help

Must be a 30 to 100 measure?

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 01:20 AM

Powder grains are a weight measurement. However, people are not going to carry sensitive scales into the woods, so volume measurement is used. However, different powder actually have slightly different densities. So triple seven is measured by volume, in equivalent black powder volume but weighs less than black powder, (as does Pyroduh)
What you meassure in your brasss measure is probably not 100 grains or 80 grains. As long as it is consistent, accuracy can be had. I used the same black powder measure for thirty years. I never cared what the actual "grains" were. But that it was the same each time.
if it bothers you, measure out a 100 grain volume and actually weigh it on a good electronic weight scale. Most such volume scales such as yours are "off" 20% is more than what I would have expected. Keep in mind that even different black powders have different densities. a 100 grain volume of Swiss will weigh different than Goex, or KIK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 01:36 PM

Well, non of that even remotely pertains to the OP's question! He's comparing charge volume to charge volume in two different volume measuring devices.

Which one is correct or are they both correct and you're brass measure isn't 50-150 but rather some other range? Do you know the graduations on the brass measure....10gr, 20gr, etc? Put 20gr in the plastic measure and set your brass to 20gr and see if it matches that way. Then adjust your brass to 80 and see if it's the same. Then you'll know the range of your measure and the increments as well.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 01:40 PM

Blackhorn 209 and BP (and substitutes) are measured by volume with the same volumetric measuring devices.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/faqs/

Quote:
10. Your charge recommendations are in Volumetric Units. What are these and is it the same as weight in grains?
Volumetric Units are NOT the same as weight in grains. Blackhorn is used by volume and therefore the charge is a measurement by volume. A volume charge is measured with a standard black powder measure. It is not weighed and a setting of 100 does not mean that you have 100 grains by weight, not even black powder. The loading densities of all substitutes and grades of black powder are different. The same volume of any will yield different weights of powder.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 05:15 PM

It doesn't matter so long as his load to load measurement is consistent. If what he thought was a 100 grains is his accurate load, it will remain so despite the actual volume in cc's or in actual grains of weight.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I believe I found the problem and it's in the brass measures.
The outter sleeve obviously holds more powder than the inner part, and I was thinking just 2 of the inner parts would just be equal to 100gr. However they had to be just 40gr each. I was just trying to match up a 100gr of loose BPS to two 50gr pellets. The Blackhorn tubes will be my go to method until I am out of loose Pyrodex.

If guns kill people,then pencils mispell words, cars make drunks drive,& spoons make fat people fat!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 03:10 PM

I also have the black horn tubes..and they are off by ten grains....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple*B
I was just trying to match up a 100gr of loose BPS to two 50gr pellets. The Blackhorn tubes will be my go to method until I am out of loose Pyrodex.
If you were trying to match using 777 pellets, there are only 43 grains of 777 in every 50-grain pellet.

Also, I consider the brass measurer pictured here ^above^ as the worst of the bunch. This one in the link below is what I've been using for 30 years. I do not trust painted measures. If you seen them on the factory assembly lines coming down the belt-line to be painted, you would understand why. The heavier brass ones are locked-in tighter at the factory when inscribed with numbers......thus more truer.

(Link) Brass Powder Measure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page