Stuck Maxi-Ball- Help Please - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Stuck Maxi-Ball- Help Please

Guys. I shot a doe the other night and was reloading for a possible follow up shot and didn`t need it. Well, in the process of loading the 2nd maxi-ball it got stuck in the middle of the barrel. This has never happened before with my NEF Sidekick. I even came home and tried to push it home with the range rod-no go-she is really stick. Tried the ball, no go, she is really jammed in there and now my range rod is stuck in my barrel because I don`t want to unscrew it from the ball puller yet. I can`t find my old T/C discharger so I am in a pickle. The breach plug is basically frozen in the breach and no chance of getting it out if you have ever tied to use the stupid breach plug removal tool they gave you with these rifles, so basically I shoot it like a non-removable breach plug gun.Is there any kind of fluid I can try and loosen up the maxi-ball from the sides of the rifling or something else? What is the best discharger made these days and where is the best place to buy it?

Also, if anybody in the Pittsburgh area could help me in person and has a vice and an air tool and thinks they can get the breach plug out or any other ides that would be cool as well or has a dis-charger tool that I can borrow I would owe you a big favor

Any info and help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 10:44 PM

Re: Stuck Maxi-Ball- Help Please

No expert here, have black powder myself. Do you have any lube butter? Maybe put some on a patch. use the ram rod as if you were cleaning the Barrel. Or maybe try squirting a lot of gun oil down the inside of the Barrel. May make it's way around the bullet. Sounds like you have a very dry Barrel. Hope it works.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

I agree on the dry barrel. I forgot to put some bore butter in the barrel after cleaning it last time and am paying for it now!! I don`t think the bore butter will work now it won`t get around the maxi-ball to free it. What kind of gun oil do you recommend? A break-free type or lubricating type? What do you think about WD-40 or PB Blaster types? Thank you.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:15 PM

Like I said, no expert, can't hurt to try something. My thought would be to try lubricating. hopefully it will lube it enough to get the ball to move. Maybe still butter the barrel a little, just in case the oil works. Will move the ball a lot easier. Just a thought.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Try tapping the rod to get the Maxi to move down and seat on powder/pellet? Then shoot it out like normal.

Put a little olive oil down the barrel first. Might help, might not if seal ring is tight.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:53 PM

a little penetrating oil on top the maxi and let it soak over night, then try to pull it. If it won't come, use an air compressor, keeping the muzzle in a safe direction. Some percussion nipples are a proper thread fit for a zerk fitting. Then use a grease gun to pump grease in until the bullet is forced out. A pain to clean up, but usually quite effective. The "hydraulic" pressure can move the most stubborn stuck bullet.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:31 AM

Did you get the ball out?
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 05:26 PM

There is a spray out called PB Blaster,sold in big box stores.Spray that down the barrel and let it soak spray it a few times.If you know a welder get a steel rod also at the big box store or any hardware store,weld a drywall screw onto it and bang it into the ball and I do mean hit it.screw it into the ball with a vice grip then pull hard.Thats how the gunsmith got one out for me.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 09:54 AM

I will second what Zimmerstutzen says about the zerk fitting!It will do the trick and not harm the gun,just messy!

WILLY P
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, still working on it. There is no nipple on this gun. They use a primer carrier and there is a machined hole thru the breech. I will try the blaster stuff first and see what happens and then on to plan B!! Thank you.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page