Coincidence? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Coincidence?

It's gotten to be a theme for my son and I. On opening day of the early muzzy season 3 years ago, we saw three deer all day long. One was too far to identify, and the other two came in seperately, and both sported antlers. Two seasons ago, I hunted a little strip of pines alone on the early muzzy opener, and got to watch a small spike and a three point wander all around me. Last year on the last day of the season, we had a small doe stand and stare at us about 15 yds away. We ler her pass, only so see three more deer pass us thru the day; a spike, a 5-point, and a small 6-point.

Which brings to the early muzzy opener yesterday. Found our way into our pre-selected location and got everything set. Just after first light, I could make out a deer feeding in our direction. I soon determined that there were three, which I thought might be a doe and two young ones. The lead deer stepped into my scope, and I immediately spotted the antlers. As deer #2 and #3 moved past, I could see that they were antlered too. We sat until noon, as my grandsons birthday party was in the afternoon. I can honestly say, I see more antlered deer in the muzzy season than any other week during the entire hunting season.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Coincidence?

That is the exact same for us. Had my son up at camp for the youth rifle hunt last year. All we saw were buck and bear. Had a slammer of an 8 point at 15 yards. A 6 at 20 yards. And multiple spikes and y bucks all around us over the 3 days. This year the crossbow will be taken out with us and the rifle left back at camp. Every year during eary muzzleloader all I seem to see are bucks.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

Be thankful you are seeing something. I sat all day in the rain yesterday with the ML,and all I saw were squirrels!
Lots of them! I was wishin I had my 22.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntr4477
Be thankful you are seeing something. I sat all day in the rain yesterday with the ML,and all I saw were squirrels!
Lots of them! I was wishin I had my 22.

Bob
We saw a bunch of those too. In a couple weeks, we plan on thinning them out a little.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 10:59 PM

i believe they know....lol

spots i wanna see a doe i see small buck..

if i put the bow away and go turkey hunting in the fall i see a big ole bruiser and he is dumber than a rock and walks within easy bow range..

when i use to take the 22 squirrel hunting i had more bucks in bow range than i ever do now that i bow hunt...

all of bow season i see turkeys...fox...etc once they come in they typically disappear too (i do OK on turkey usually)

they just know!

i will say i do enjoy seeing critters...(squirrels and chipmunks dont count for much..though once in a while they are entertaining..) i rather watch critters i cant shoot than sit there and not see anything!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Yup, seen 4 buck yesterday with the muzzy!

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page