Mounting a scope - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Mounting a scope

So I just picked up a new toy... A T/C Triumph Bone Collector. Also got a Nikon inline scope to put on top. I'm trying to decide if I want to mount it myself or take it to a shop. I'm afraid that if I go to a shop I'm not gonna see it for quite a while and too close to the season to get it sighted in etc... I don't have the ring centering and lapping tools, but do I really need them? Thoughts...?

Work is for people who don't hunt!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 03:03 AM
The Man

Re: Mounting a scope

Unless I bought a gun with a scope already mounted, or bought the gun and scope in the same shop and they mounted it, I always mounted them myself. I never used ring centering tools or lapping compound and tools and I never had a problem, just lucky I guess, I have the set form Wheeler now and all my future scope mounts will be done using that kit. You have to be careful to get mounts for the scope that are the right height and room enough to move the scope back and forth between the front and rear rings to get the proper eye relief. Here are some simple instructions and there are lots of you tube videos.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/ga...scope-mounting

I have had some scopes mounted at a gun shop that I had to do it over because it was not done right so if you have someone do it for you ask around to find someone who will do it right.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks..!! I had to buy a new set of rings as the medium set I bought was just a bit too low and the from bell of the scope just touched the barrel. I bought a higher set of rings and they mounted the scope for me. It's a pretty well known and respected gun shop so I'm putting my trust in that they do enough scopes to have done it right.... A day at the range will tell.

Work is for people who don't hunt!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 12:23 PM

I agree with Springfreak.I have always mounted my own scopes and I am no way a gunsmith.Get the crosshairs stright,most important is proper eye relief and use removeable lock tight on all screws,I have used nail polish in a pinch.Don't bugger up the screws,use the proper size driver.Good luck
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 09:29 PM

Clear nail polish is what I have ever used on the base or ring screws. Scope has never moved on anything up to a .300 win mag.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page