Slow Twist Sabot Shooting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Slow Twist Sabot Shooting

I was talking to a guy who was raving about the accuracy he was getting in a .50 cal roundball gun with sabots. He was using Hornady .50/.44 sabots with 180 gr Hornady XTP bullets. He says it puts deer down well. I think the reason it might shoot OK in a slow twist barrel is that the bullet is so short.
I'm going to shoot a few of these in a roundball gun to see how accurate it is. For hunting, I'd be concerned about the penetration of this bullet at muzzleloader velocities.

Yes I know patched roundballs can kill deer, but I'm always looking at what else might work.

Rich Deerhunter
Lock Haven, PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 11:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Slow Twist Sabot Shooting

Slow twist round ball barrels typically have deep rifling grooves. A sabot won't fill the grooves, unless they came out with softer ones than I have tried. The unfilled grooves create leaks during ignition, reducing the power of the charge. A 180 gr. saboted bullet, though it might punch paper accurately (might be keyholing), would not have the punch of a 176 gr round ball with a patch to fill the rifling, with the same charge in the same slow twist barrel.

Flip that, a PRB doesn't work great in a fast twist barrel. The rifling is shallow, so a thin patch is needed, but can burn through or cut during ignition, reducing power of the charge.

Try these in a slow twist .50 barrel. 136% more mass than a PRB, and the lead skirt fills the rifling.

http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal-240-gr-PA-Conical/

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:42 PM
The Man

I often hear of guys getting good groups after firing multiple shots and fowling the rifling up.
What I'm concerned MOST with is hitting the EXACT spot I'm aiming at with that 1st shot out of a clean bore.Be it RB,conical,or sabot.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

When the patched roundball was mandated in PA, I acquired rifles (sons hunt too) to shoot the roundball. ( I even sold a .45 TC Hawken that grouped 240 gr maxi-balls great) The roundball has always worked on deer which were properly hit. But, the modern projectiles are simpler to use, based on my experience with inlines. Besides, I like to shoot and experiment.

I am skeptical of the effectiveness of 180 gr pistol bullets being fired at well above their designed velocity range. One review I read claimed poor penetration on deer when fired from a .44 mag rifle.

Rich Deerhunter
Lock Haven, PA
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 01:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

That's because all the old school 180 gr pistol bullets are not bonded, like XTP Mags......etc.

Hold the speeds down a little on my 180 gr Precision Polymer Tip 50/40s and new market offerings like Lehigh Control Fractured 180s, plus another all-copper like the Barnes 44-cal 200 gr XPBs, plus even the copper-clad Barnes 195 gr 50/40 Expanders and 200 gr 50/40 Hornady SSTs, you have some nice lightweight bullet offerings that harvest better in inlines, than roundballs in a caplock (my opinion).

Just beware of trying sabots in deep groove slow-twist barrels. Some shoot them fine to about 75-100 yards, some don't. My 1:66 twist roundballer like the 180 gr. Polymer Tips, to about 80 yards. It's the only sabot I ever loaded in that Shenandoah long-rifle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page