Patch knife... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Patch knife...

Who makes a reasonably priced patch knife with sheath? I know I could save time pre-cutting them but would like to pick one up.Thanks

rich battistoni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 01:44 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: Patch knife...

Save time how?

Getting back into flintlock shooting, I just traced and cut 80 patches from pillow ticking. What a major pain in the hind end. I saved three strips of fabric to cut at the muzzle for range shooting, and will save the ones I traced/cut for hunting use.

I'm curious to see what info appears here, as I'd probably pick up a patch knife if the price was right.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Tom,

For cutting patches, get a piece of schedule 40 pipe with the inside diameter You want for patch size. Ground the outside edge so the pipe has a blade on the inside edge. Fold your patch material a bunch of times, put on a board, put the blade of the pipe down and whack it good with a hammer. A pipe end cap makes it work even better.

Instant patches!

Richbat, as for a nice patch knife, Contemporary Longrifle Assn. CLA For Sale Items and American Longrifles ALR For Sale Forum both have Artisans that sell wares, and with decent pricing.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you.

rich battistoni
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Rich,

You might even post a wanted ad on this Site's Wanted To Buy section. There are a lot of traditional shooters on here. Who knows, one might have a decent extra patch knife they would part with.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 02:41 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_Rusty
Tom,

For cutting patches, get a piece of schedule 40 pipe with the inside diameter You want for patch size. Ground the outside edge so the pipe has a blade on the inside edge. Fold your patch material a bunch of times, put on a board, put the blade of the pipe down and whack it good with a hammer. A pipe end cap makes it work even better.

Instant patches!

Richbat, as for a nice patch knife, Contemporary Longrifle Assn. CLA For Sale Items and American Longrifles ALR For Sale Forum both have Artisans that sell wares, and with decent pricing.
That's an awfully good idea! Thanks!

I read on ALR about people grinding a straight edge onto a hole saw and using a drill press, but holy moly that sounded like a pain in the rump. Plus, I'm picturing a yard of fabric wound around a drill press as a result....

This makes more sense, for sure.

I have to hit the fabric store, as I used up the last of my pillow ticking to make the last run of patches. That gave me 80 patches, plus three strips that'll be good for 5-6 each, so I won't be out immediately, but it won't take long to run through them.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 02:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send me picture of what you would like. Should be able to fix you up. Like to trade thanks Blacksmith

camp in A.N.F.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 03:38 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

What do you need in trade for something like a patch knife, Blacksmith?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 04:50 PM

buy a stainless straight razor, take an antler tine and hold it to see the best fit, drill a pilot hole less than half the diameter of shank. soak the tine in water for 2-3days and you can push the shank into it, let it dry it will never come out........

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page