Firestorm - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Firestorm

I have a firestorm that is very hard to load after the first shot. I load with two pyrodex pellets and a T/C shock wave super glide sabots. The first shot goes down very easily but by the third shot It is almost to possible to load it. Anyone else have this problem?? I can load my renegade all day long using the T/C maxi hunter loads. I am actually thinking about using these in both guns. Any thoughts on this is welcome good or bad. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 05:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Firestorm

Some barrels are just tight for some sabots. I've tried some in a borrowed Hawkens, my Renegade and GPH and no go with any of them, risked breaking a ramrod. I used to have connections at Barnes and they gave me 2 packs of their T-EZ (EZ for easy load) for an elk hunt and they were just too hard going down in my GPH, sold them on here. Used powerbelts instead.

The Maxi Hunter, Maxi Ball, and similar full bore all work good getting down range. I'm a fan of full bore bullets and the Powerbelt is my favorite, easiest to load of them all, also most accurate of any that I tried.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...pit-fire-t-ez/

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 08:31 PM
Part of the Community

Its my understanding that the sabots leave plastic residue in the barrels. I changed to power belts and have not had and trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTLERKING
I have a firestorm that is very hard to load after the first shot. I load with two pyrodex pellets and a T/C shock wave super glide sabots. The first shot goes down very easily but by the third shot It is almost to possible to load it. Anyone else have this problem?? I can load my renegade all day long using the T/C maxi hunter loads. I am actually thinking about using these in both guns. Any thoughts on this is welcome good or bad. Thanks.
There is lube on the Maxi Hunters. There's no lube on the sabots.

There is no law on not dabbing the outer plastic sabot with lube. So if you like sabots and want to shoot multiple times without swabbing, then try it.

There's nothing to lose here.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 03:50 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use a very small amount of lube on the powerbelts in my Firestorm. I have also had some minor plastic fouling build up over the years. I just scrubbed it out. Never got bad enough to cause problems with loading or accuracy. Just looked annoying in the bore.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 04:50 AM

Have you tried the Harvester Crush Rib Sabots? We use them in 50 cals with a 45 cal bullets.

WILLY P
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 11:31 AM

Google MMP sabots; they make a smaller sabot for slightly undersized bores. If your Firestorm is 1/28 twist you can use most any bullet but if it's 1/48 twist choose a .452 bullet and a short bullet like a 250 grain xtp. Sabots don't need lube because they are made to be un-lubed and it's basically a hard form of lard not plastic.

You should expect to swab between shots with sabots. Some Firestorms were 1/28 and some are 1/48 twist and I don't know if they were marked as such or not.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use 90 grns of ff with green mmp sabots with 44 cal .430 240gr hornady xtp bullet. No problem as long as your swabbing. The only other time there could be a problem is a cold barrel that is below freezing. The barrel will get tight in any cold muzzy.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I looked at the barrel of my firestorm, it is not marked. I know it is 1:48. I'm not sure if it was on the box or owners manual?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 12:34 AM

Lube the sabots with bore butter. Makes a big difference. Also sawb the bore every shot or two.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page