Lyman Peep Sight for hunting?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Lyman Peep Sight for hunting??

Well, my first flintlock season is now over. Hunted every day cept one, had one misfire, one shot and didn't get a deer.

But, I'm hooked fer sure.

I bought a Lyman GPR and now have a year to practice. But, I really feel that I need to do something about the sights. I've fired about fifty shots of the porch, with mixed results. I just can't seem to get the sights and target lined up as should be.

I'm looking at the Lyman Peep Sight, but everything I read suggests that peep sights are better suited to target shooting than hunting?

Before I spend that much money, I'd like to hear some words of wisdom from others who had problems shooting iron sights and tried the peeps.

I kill because I'm hunting, but killing is not the reason I go hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 06:53 PM
New Arrival

Re: Lyman Peep Sight for hunting??

There is a thread on the Traditional section right now about the GPR and peeps are addressed. Jester and Tundragriz both swear by them. Jester uses the fiber optic front sight instead of the hooded front sight that came with the peeps. Better in low light. I know both have hunted extensively with the peeps and had not issues. I know jester has taken an antelope, 2 bears, fallow deer numerous whitetails and a boar all with the peeps. I think Tudragriz has taken many more and I think even some exotics with his. Can't go wrong with peeps!!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use the Lyman peep sight, on my Deerstalker and love it!

Scentblocker Advisory Member
Birchwood Casey Advisory Member
Wild Ear Advisory Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Been kicking a peep around for my Lyman Deerstalker but have never used one. I find it hard seeing the target at. 50 yards with the open sight.
Wasn't sure if the peep would be helpful..?....
Dave

ONLY THE DUMBEST SHEEP ELECT THEIR BUTCHERS

3D in PA
7R in NY
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 10:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yes I think it would help. A peep takes the focus out of your rear sight and if your front post sight is where your aiming you will hit it. When you look through a peep sight your eye automatically centers your eye. Takes so much of the guess work out if your not used to iron sights.

Scentblocker Advisory Member
Birchwood Casey Advisory Member
Wild Ear Advisory Member
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Part of the Community

I don't know if it has changed, but several years ago, I was told that peep sights were illegal if you are going to use the gun during the late flintlock season. This was directly from a game warden that was at the harrisburg sportsman show.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 11:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmorton
I don't know if it has changed, but several years ago, I was told that peep sights were illegal if you are going to use the gun during the late flintlock season. This was directly from a game warden that was at the harrisburg sportsman show.
Any sight is legal now ,no scopes allowed.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:00 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I thought I ran across a fibre optic peep when I was looking for parts for GPR.
It wasn't cheap! I'm still considering it for the future.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:46 AM

Consider buying a vpeep. I believe rmc makes them. Basically a peep sight with the top cut out. So the rear peep circles the front bead maybe 5/8ths of the way.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 02:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron
...I'm looking at the Lyman Peep Sight, but everything I read suggests that peep sights are better suited to target shooting than hunting? ...I'd like to hear some words of wisdom from others who had problems shooting iron sights and tried the peeps.
Not sure where you are reading. The front globe sight that may be paired with a rear peep is for target and I recommend against that. I will always regret trying it and having it cost me a truly trophy class mule deer because the sun had set, I could see the deer but I absolutely couldn't see the front sight inside the globe, had to just watch the deer without being able to shoot. They are meant for full daylight shooting.

But a rear peep, aperture, ghost ring, whatever you want to call it is a great way to go. That's what we had on the M14 and M16 for out to 600yds, commonly used on guide guns for fast acquisition. I did it because of aging eyes not being able to focus the edges of the rear sight anymore to get good rear-front sight alignment. Actually stopped muzzleloading and handgunning for a couple years until I found a solution. Aperture sights are intuitive, like mentioned above, when you look through a little hole the eye instinctively centers the item of interest, very fast. And dead center of blurry circle is precisely the same as dead center of sharp circle. You always need the front sight crystal clear for the final alignment, rear sight blurry, target blurry.

The Lyman 57 is a very good sight, additionally it increases sight radius substantially and that improves distance shooting. If you wanted something less obtrusive Skinner Sights make nice units that go in the original dovetail.
http://www.skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page