Suggest A First Flintlock for Me - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Suggest A First Flintlock for Me

Experienced flintlock hunters, suggest a good first flintlock for me.
Considering what you know now, if you were me what would you buy?

I have shot a TC .50 inline for a few years now but want to get into shooting and hunting with a flintlock.

I lean toward the .50 Hawken style. Traditions, Pendersoli,Lyman,TC?

-I noticed the Pendersoli barrel is not easily removed for cleaning.

- Heard bad things about the traditions ramrods.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Suggest A First Flintlock for Me

I would suggest going here and talk to the Boyz.....take a look at all the different makes and models...see which on fits you better...then make a decision.

Dixons Muzzle Loading

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

get with someone, that has , and hunts with flintlock. ask them of their opionon of there guns. you" here a lot of negatives about the traditions guns. but in my opinon they do not deserve al the negativity they get. agreed they are not what you get in a more expensive gun but they will serve you well as an entry level gun. our camp has killed 4 this year , 3 out of the 4 was with traditions deerhunters. getting into flinters, get with and shoot with nolegable people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I strongly suggest a trip to Dixon's Muzzleloader Shop since you live in Berks County. I was there yesterday, and as always Chuck and Greg were busy answering questions, finding stock for the several customers in the shop, and writing up sales. If you can, go on a weekday (they're closed on Wed.), and Greg or Chuck will spend as much time as you need answering any and all questions you might have.

The shop has a wide selection of Lymans, and I think, Pederosolis. And, if you look up, the ceiling is draped with displayed custom rifles and smoothbores. I never have difficulty coming up with an excuse to make the 35 minute drive. Yesterday, it was the need for a bolster screw that hit the shop floor and vanished into thin air! That two dollar item ending up costing me around thirty, but that is the wonderful thing about Dixon's, money never has a chance to burn any holes in pockets!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Part of the Community

Stay away from traditions look for a good used TC or Lyman or Pederosolis
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Lyman, or Lyman or yes I forgot, Lyman
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'll second the Lyman! Good long gun. Deerstalker or Greatplains.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

What are you really looking to do with a flintlock? Hunt, and only hunt....meaning it's simply a season-extender (nothing wrong with that! ).... or are you looking to get deeper into it? Any interest in the PA history with flintlocks/long rifles? Somewhere in the middle?

Not trying to nudge you in any one direction, just assessing what your interests are. They will evolve/shift/change over time, as they do for most of us, but it's good to sort of get your bearings, figure out what you're most interested in, and work from that perspective. If there's something that hurts more than spending money, it's spending it twice for something you could have bought once.

And yeah, get to Dixon's. If you find you're drawn to those rifles up on the ceiling (you'll see when you get there what we mean), you might want to make time to get to Lewisburg in early Feb, or to Dixon for the Gunmakers' Fair in July.

I decided to replace my TC Renegade that I'd (literally) outgrown, and I took a full year just to decide what my specific interests were. It's a longer road to the destination, but (in my opinion) more likely to get you to the place you really wanna go.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 01:00 PM
The Man

I have the Lyman deerstalker and love it. It has a very fast ignition and goes off every time, plus it's easy to carry and maneuver with. I would try to find folks who have a flintlock and try theirs and see what you like.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

Lyman or TC. My opinion is the TC Firestorm is the best production flintlock for the average PA hunter. Stainless is easy to maintain, don't have to worry about the synthetic stock, fiber optic sights are easy to see, easy to clean, and gun is accurate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page