Cleaning jag? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Cleaning jag?

Seems I lost my ramrod today, which is not a biggie because I have a spare and will pick up another ramrod locally.
The problem is that the cleaning jag was in the ramrod, only one I have and can't get one locally. Thinking of just using my regular gun cleaning rod with the slotted piece, but that seems like a pain.

Any ideas until I can get a new one - 54 caliber??

I kill because I'm hunting, but killing is not the reason I go hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 06:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Cleaning jag?

Sent a PM.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 08:38 PM
Part of the Community

I only use the slotted piece to clean mine and been using it for years. Never really understood how a jag works, especially in a gun without a removeable breach..
By the way, I've been following and thoroughly been unjoying your thread on gamelands 211... I hunted them years ago. Matter of fact, killed my first buck there out past ratlling run... Big country for us PA hunters... Park in the bottom parking lot at Stony and hike out the railroad bed an hour or so plus.... good times... I remember getting to the truck and sitting in the heat after those cold, all day hunts sure felt good. Good luck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 08:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A jag catches the patch as you pull out, and the patch swabs the whole bore, and will get to the breech. A slotted patch holder will swab where the wrinkles of the fabric are. The cracks between the wrinkles do not contact the bore. And the patch doesn't necessarily get to the breech.

And with fired blackpowder's ability to corrode, you want to swab the whole bore, not 90something % of it.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 09:30 PM
Part of the Community

So Rusty. I place the patch over the muzzle and push it down the barrel with the jag. I take it I place soem type of bore cleaner on the patch.... Correct. Thanks for takng the time to explain... My kid and I were just looking at these jags two days ago and I told him I have no idea what/how they are used.
OK, another question for you if you dont mind. I also have a cleaning rod attachment that has 2 curved, fork like prongs on it, for lack of beeter description, approximately one half inch long. Is that used to remove a "lost" patch down in the barrel.?? Thanks again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yep. Put down the bore for a lost patch. Twist the direction of the points (should be clockwise), and it will grab the patch.

Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 10:37 PM

Also, different jags are slightly different diameters/sharpness of the "barbs". I have several and some will hold one patch well while others always lose a single patch down the bore. Use 2 patches at once if this is the case or try to buy a thicker patch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page