Rust in barrel/ pan? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Rust in barrel/ pan?

I have a blue barrell TC firestorm I inherited that wasn't best taken care of. The pan had some pretty good rust that pitted it. Also noticed last time cleaning a rough looking spot about 3 inches up from the touch hole. When I store at the of season the last couple of years I put a good amount of natural 1000 lube in the barrel and pan to prevent further rusting. I do notice I still get some rust on the patch following year prepping to sight in.
Question is can anything be done with barrel to prevent get any rust the following year or remove the rough spot? Will this affect accuracy?
Also can I get a replacement or upgraded pan/frozen/ lock for this gun?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Rust in barrel/ pan?

Upgraded, yes. L&R TC RPL

Might I suggest polishing the lock a bit before buying an upgrade? Not sure how the coil mainstring comes off, never tried one. But if you do sides of the sear, both sides of the tumbler, and frizzen tab and frizzen spring area where they contact each other. You would be suprised how much it helps.

I would suggest the cleaning (soap like Dawn and lukewarm to cool water), rinsed, to be followed by drying (patches) and water displacement (WD40). Once that is done, either Barricade or gun oil lightly in the bore and on the lock, inside and out. With the Firestorm, oil in wood grain is not an issue, so you don't have to be sparing on it.

When wanting to shoot, swab oil away, and go for it!

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:41 PM

Minor exterior rust can be cleaned up with OOOO steel wool and oil. (Don't use any grade coarser than 4 -0's ) A small dremel wire wheel or buffer can sometimes polish out minor pits.

In the bore, what you feel as a rough spot, could be raised bumps of iron oxide. Some times a patch on a jag with something like J&B bore cleaner, or even automobile finish rubbing compound can smooth away such rough spots. (Use the white rubbing compound not the red. the red is more abrasive.) Black powder guns and lead balls are very forgiving of minor pitting, so long as the patch isn't getting torn by the roughness, it probably will not affect accuracy.

That roughness will always be a place for fouling to hide and seep into the pours in the metal. You will have to be a bit more meticulous about cleaning and perhaps a follow up cleaning within a few days.

It may also be a good idea to use a bore cleaning that neutralizes powder fouling. I have had good results with old surplus WW2 bore cleaner, but the stuff is now considered a hazardous substance and is hard to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 06:47 PM

Soak the bore with liquid wrench, pb blaster, wd 40... whatever penetrant you have. Put a 50 cal wire brush on a cleaning rod. Place cleaning rod in a cordless drill and slowly work the bore. This will remove the rust.

Now clean the bore with dish soap in very hot water. Run a few dry patches down to remove an water, it will dry fast. Put a liberal amount of bore butter on a patch and work it in the bore. Will melt into every pore in the bore and prevent future rust.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Very hot water in a bore... can you say flash rust?

Seen it, had it, now use only lukewarm to cool water.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 07:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have been shooting smoke poles since 1973. After every session I use HOT tap water with Dawn soap through all my BP guns. I have never had a rusting problem. In fact when the barrell heats up it helps with the drying process.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 08:53 PM
Sage

You can also use a hair dryer on the exterior of the barrel to warm up the metal and expel residual moisture.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I usually just use dawn and warm to hot water. Can't be too hot or you wouldn't be to touch the barrel. Usually let soak 15-30 minute then rinse then fill with soapy water and use wire brush through several times. Then dry with some patches before using some Remoil then dry patch patch followed by natural lube 1000.

That being said I think the rough spot is from previous to me getting it, anyone recommend anything other than PB bLaster to remove the rust in the Barrel? When the season ends plan on removing Liner and then plugging before filling barrel up to rough spot with PB blaster and letting sit for a day or so before using wire brush to work it out.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 10:26 PM

Natural lube or bore butter is a pretty poor rust preventative. When you store it use ballistol, rig, or rem oil, something that will really protect the barrel, just make sure to swab it out before use next time. There have been several tests on different forum using different lubes, oils and how they rust, wd40 and bore butter/natural lube were the worst.

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Part of the Community

I'ev been using Very hot water and Dawn soap for 20 years!!! I also have soft well water.
Most likely flash rust from chemicals in water? Sodium Cloride,Chlorine,and Potassium Permanganate a oxidizer. i follow up with a water displacer as WD40, and then a soak patch of a 3-in-One oil. Has to say rust preventive, penetrating & Lubrication.
Not an advocate of leaving guns loaded for whole hunting season!!! i prefere to use a Bore cleaner at the range before a "good "cleaning at home...

Chartiers valley#725 F&AM
NMLRA,HCH,CLA,
Forest Grove Sportsmen
Sewickley S & F Club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page