Bore Scraper Q. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Bore Scraper Q.

Been at this game for quite a while, and swabbed plenty of BP from barrels, but, never used a Scraper. I picked one up on a sale that was made this summer with some other things. It is brass. My question... does scraping the breech with these do any harm to the inside of the barrel ? In other words, will the constant scraping of the breech, wear the inside "finish" and make it more susceptible to gunking up ? I have no experience with them. To get into the breech, I always used the pronged patch puller with a patch, and lightly twisted it down there. So, what say yinz ?

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:10 PM

Re: Bore Scraper Q.

Depends of what your breech configuration is.

A TC hooked breech actually is quite a bit smaller than the bore of the gun. Generally at the back end of the barrel, there is a powder chamber about one inch deep and only about 3/8 inch in diameter. The touch hole (or flash channel from a percussion) leads the fire into this powder chamber and then it burns out to the main charge. This is why when cleaning a TC with the touch hole liner removed, you can't see a patch on the jag come all that way back to the touch hole liner opening.

I have shot an Investarms barrel for years with an identical hooked breech and never used a breech scraper.

The standard of putting a hooked breech barrel breech end into hot water and pumping hot water in and out should be more than enough to clean out the breech. It has to do with the swirling effect of the Benuli prinicple as the water is alternatively pumped and drawn in and out from one size space through a smaller opening. (At least that is what a physicist/shooter once told me)

A flat breech surface on a custom style gun where the barrel is pinned into the stock is not normally cleaned the same way as a TC barrel (absent one of those tubes that screws into or clamps to the touch hole liner opening.) A breech scraper may help in that case. But there the breech face is just a flat dead end. So it requires a flat end scraper instead of the small round end scraper for a TC type breech.

A few times over that past couple years I posted a picture of a TC breech plug removed from the barrel so people could understand the look of the breech interior. I try to find it again.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:29 PM

This is a 15/16th inch acf TC breech plug. The threads are 5/8 inch in diameter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Well, my current hunter is a Lyman Deerstalker, not sure exactly what the breech looks like in terms of taper, but judging by my ramrod length measured while in the barrel (empty barrel), I would assume it is tapered ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo
Well, my current hunter is a Lyman Deerstalker, not sure exactly what the breech looks like in terms of taper, but judging by my ramrod length measured while in the barrel (empty barrel), I would assume it is tapered ?
Nope, just smaller than your ramrod. A .22 bore brush with patch wrapped around it will get into the patent breech (chambered breech) if you want to see if Ya cleaned it good!

Google "chambered breech" to see a cutaway of how they look. Some have the vent in the middle, some at the breech end. A builder I have read comments from always puts one in his guns. He says it gives room for 4Fg dribbled in the vent if you dry ball, to shoot it out. Even when the ball is seated.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. Reckon I better start adding some sort of method to getting deeper into that breech, thoughm I do the water swabbing at the end of each season.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

I just bought a new Lyman Deerstalker this year and I had similar questions regarding cleaning the breech area. The manual calls for using a .38 cal brush or slotted cleaning end to clean the powder channel in the breech. I use a ramrod for my rifle. Is it really necessary to use a brass brush to clean the bore? I've been doing the soap and water thing only so far.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 05:15 PM
Part of the Community

I clean my lock before the barrel, I just grap it by the frizzen with a pair of pliers and dip it in my hot water swirl it around once or twice and it is clean, So I belive my barrel will react the same by swabbing it out with hot water

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page