Bullet suggestion - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Bullet suggestion

Well ive been hunting with a flintlock since the early 80s and have yet to find a bullet im happy with,ive taken a lot of deer with roundball and maxi-ball and my last 5 or six with the powerbelts copper hollow points and tonight my son shot a mature doe with the 250 grain aero-lite threw both shoulders,went in like a dime came out like one,even though we have recovered all our deer I would like any suggestions on what bullet makes a rifle like hole in a deer,im real impressed with the accuracy of the power belts,but there wound channels are small,case tonight his doe went 20 yds not one drop of blood and dime size hole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:21 AM
cen
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Bullet suggestion

Sabot of some type maybe?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I was hoping the areo-lites would be the answer,but tonight there no different than the copper hollow point power belt,we have a couple more doe tags to fill,hoping this was a one time thing but I doubt it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You tried Maxis... ever try a Hornady Plains Bullet? 385gr hollow-point lead bullet.

Plains Bullet

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

never tried those,are you getting good accuracy with them?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:36 AM

Good bullets here.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthrea...rue#Post3479747
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 07:50 AM

Black powder or even subs won't give enough velocity to have a great deal of shock because after 2650 fps. there isn't much shock. BP never gets there.

The best I have found in my 1/28 twist is a 300 grain xtp in .452 dia. It puts them down quick but again the wound doesn't show much expansion.

I shot a deer Monday with a .54 ball over 90 grains of Goex 3f at 65 yards. Bang flop. First one with a .54 ball; always used .50 caliber ball before. With just one deer so far it appears to me it hits much harder than the .50. I think something pure lead it best with BP.

Another thing I believe is that unless you like to track/chase after the shot; shot them in the front shoulder and break them down.

I have tried most everything out there in my flinters and still go back to roundball and shoot for the front shoulder.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 11:19 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I shot a Hornady 45 cal 250 grain XTP bullet in a sabot They work for me
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 11:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by locon
never tried those,are you getting good accuracy with them?
The can be accurate with a good load. Got to work to find it though. But they will thump a deer! A GPB in the shoulder is typically a DRT.

They like to move if the gun is jostled, with the lube (more of a wax) they come coated with. And that is not a good thing! Lubing a bit more, or seat it in a thin patch (.010) when starting the bullet, helps keep them seated. Or I have been told to seat it harder so the gas ring flares over the powder and lodges a bit into the rifling. I haven't tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locon
...case tonight his doe went 20 yds not one drop of blood and dime size hole
If it is only 20 yards, then does a blood trail matter? I would be happy with a 20 yard recovery. At that distance, you can hear a pile up, or rather a quick lack of noise!

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Another thing I believe is that unless you like to track/chase after the shot; shot them in the front shoulder and break them down.
You are probably right, but I just hate the thought of ruined meat by intention on my part. High shoulder is a pretty impactful (shock) hit in a Deer. Scoped rifle, my main look is for a neck shot. If it can't be accomplished, such as a walking Deer, I go for both lungs, and consider it a bonus if the heart breeches while doing it. Muzzy, it's always been lung for me.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page