losing all my priming powder in my pan - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

losing all my priming powder in my pan

So I went out this afternoon loaded my gun primed my pan well I was walking through the woods and after I sat down I checked my pan it was empty. Well I had to prime it 3 or 4 times I kept losing powder. I seen it going down next to the barrel it looked like it was falling down between the lock and barrel. I need suggestions to keep this from happening. I have a tc hawkens.

Vegetarians are cool All I eat are vegetarians except for the occasional mountain lion steak -Nugent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 01:43 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: losing all my priming powder in my pan

Is your lock stiff when it locks down on the pan? I would assume it's not locking flush with the pan. Also, powder will even with a good lock seep out some but you shouldn't be losing all or most of the powder if your keeping the flintlock level (most of the time) while walking. I too have a Hawken and while I do lose some powder while walking it's generally insignificant and I could still shoot. I also don't "completely" fill the pan with powder. 3/4 to just below level with top of pan is plenty.

Good Luck & Shoot Straight
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 02:13 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Tighten up the screw that keeps the lock in place. On the Opposite side of lock.

Boom! Boom! Boom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman4c
Is your lock stiff when it locks down on the pan? I would assume it's not locking flush with the pan. Also, powder will even with a good lock seep out some but you shouldn't be losing all or most of the powder if your keeping the flintlock level (most of the time) while walking. I too have a Hawken and while I do lose some powder while walking it's generally insignificant and I could still shoot. I also don't "completely" fill the pan with powder. 3/4 to just below level with top of pan is plenty.
I was filling the thing up all the way I mean the first time I didn't even check and I walked around from shooting time probably until 9:30 am and the gun fired to unload it so maybe I'm just assuming I'm losing to much.

Vegetarians are cool All I eat are vegetarians except for the occasional mountain lion steak -Nugent
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shotjoe
Tighten up the screw that keeps the lock in place. On the Opposite side of lock.
I might take the lock out sunday and clean it since I work tomorrow and I cant hunt anyway.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 04:15 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdemutis [/quote
I was filling the thing up all the way I mean the first time I didn't even check and I walked around from shooting time probably until 9:30 am and the gun fired to unload it so maybe I'm just assuming I'm losing to much.
Sounds just fine to me. I generally keep a close eye on pan powder while walking especially if I knock the gun against something etc.. Check again when I reach my spot. I also dump pan empty and freshen every once and a while. This is more important when it's damp out but it doesn't hurt either way to "freshen" every few hours.

Good Luck & Shoot Straight
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 09:42 AM

If the powder is going down between the lock and the barrel you may end up with more of a bang than you expect when the powder in there decides to light up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Until i can work on mine,of which will do the same thing,i took a thin piece of an old leather glove and fitted it between the lock and the barrel.I trimmed it to the same shape of the lock and barrel metting spot and a little below the pan ,after i had installed it. I used a razor knife.It worked,as i've said,until i get it fixed it right.
My pan leaks powder along the rear and the outside. Not alot but it will go empty. The quick fix for this,as i was told.for temp fix,Chap Stick along the edge? This may work between the pan and the barrel leak spot.Just use enough to fill the gap?
This all seems safe,to me,but i can't say until i try it more!

WILLY P
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 11:42 AM
The Man

You might want to remove and clean out any powder that is behind the lock.That can ignite also!

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 12:24 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp
If the powder is going down between the lock and the barrel you may end up with more of a bang than you expect when the powder in there decides to light up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Until i can work on mine,of which will do the same thing,i took a thin piece of an old leather glove and fitted it between the lock and the barrel.I trimmed it to the same shape of the lock and barrel metting spot and a little below the pan
Same here. I had a Deerstalker carbine that had a bad fit between the barrel and pan, and fixed it the same way. Make sure to get all that powder out!!

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 02:21 PM

My deer stalker had quite a gap between the lock and barrel no matter how tight I made the lock screw and I too was losing primer charge into the lock area. I took the lock off and removed some wood from underneath until the gap closed up. I did have to take a bit of wood and finish off the stock as then the frizzen would rub when it flipped up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page