keeping gun loaded - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

keeping gun loaded

Hi I have been shooting flint lock for a few years. I usually use the pellets for powder but I am going to black powder this year. How long can you keep the gun loaded without having any corrosion issues. I have cleaned it well an loading it now for tomorrow. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 06:17 AM
The Man

Re: keeping gun loaded

You can keep a BP load in the barrel for the duration of the flint season, without it resulting with a corrosion issue, IF no moisture is introduced.

Moisture can get in through the flash hole, or by way of the particular patch lube used. I can't tell you which lubes will. In general terms, the liquid lubes would be a higher risk than the grease varieties.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Part of the Community

I discharge daily with a Co2
run a clean patch down once and clean!!! quick since not fired. Taking gun out in cold and then back inside will cause the barrel to sweat!! moisture, Most likely resulting in a ring barrel. Patch lubes and Spit patch left inside for more than a couple days will result in a Ring Barrel...i've repaired two guns for customers last season..one so bad had to find a TC replacement barrel. Cost too much to risk. Simple to clean...

Chartiers valley#725 F&AM
NMLRA,HCH,CLA,
Forest Grove Sportsmen
Sewickley S & F Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 11:05 PM
The Man

Mine stays loaded the full season unless.
A)Damp day
B)Gun is shot

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 12:31 PM
The Man

I usually shoot mine to unload unless I know I'm going out the next day, and then make sure it stays in the truck. If I shoot, then it gets a quick clean when I get home.

I left a load down the barrel for an entire season a few years back. Rifle stayed outside the entire time. On the last day of the season I had 4 doe stopped about 40yds away. I pulled the trigger, and was rewarded with the looooongest hangfire I ever saw. This was from a rifle that had fantastic ignition. Never again. Just my experience.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 05:41 PM

buddy of mine loaded his lyman last flintlock season....never fired it....took it out last weekend to sight it in...went off immediately! However...i would not wait that long....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mine's loaded and leaning in the corner of my unheated garage. Like 410-er, unless I hunt a damp day or bump into a deer offering a reasonable broadside shot, my rifles will stay loaded until the end of the season. Half of a round tooth pick (I'm really cheap!)in the touch hole, and a dry patch down the barrel over night seems to work for me, and I've been at this from darn near the beginning.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 09:45 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerksCoflinter
Half of a round tooth pick (I'm really cheap!)in the touch hole, and a dry patch down the barrel over night
Toothpick to plug the hole from air/moisture? Explain the dry patch reason please?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 10:08 PM

as others have said...it can stay loaded a LONG time if kept dry...

dont bring it from really warm to cold or vice versa...dont want it to "sweat"..

i am a freak...i pull my bullet and dump my charge regularly...sometimes DURING a hunt if its a damp day...

this opener my buddy hit a doe...i went to put her down...flash in the pan...i thought it was a fluke..but it was in the back of my mind all day...i know my rifle well...i rarely have an issue..i knew it was charged..

i pulled it that night at camp...sure enough my charge was lumpy and stuck together....i think when i lathered it up with bore butter last season i must have left it muzzle up too long and the bore butter settled in the chamber...

it went off the next day flawlessly...twice...

to me its cheap insurance to dump charges and keep them fresh...

i am even worse with pan powder...

alcohol patches are another thing...we do a lot of pushes through the season...5-6 a day on average...i clean the flint and frizzen every time i charge the pan...i just got into that habit to make sure the frizzen or flint didnt get wet or oil off my hand or someones in the truck etc..
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:31 PM
Part of the Community

I hang my flint lock in the garage all season and never bring it in to the house,try to keep it from that temp change cold to hot and my pan, I never put a charge in it unless im on post for a drive or see a deer,and dump it after the drive,if im driving I don t even put anything in pan and carry a toothbrush and clean it after I dump it each time,plus I use a paper clip to keep my hole clean,keep it with my charger on a string around my neck so I have quick access to it for a shot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page