pan cover - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

pan cover

I use the finger portion of an old neoprene mitten with the thumb cut off snd velcro glued to the cuff wrapped around the pan\barrel\stock to keep the snow\rain out of the pan when weather is bad. Will flip right off if size\tension is right. Not my idea, don't patent Live near Ohiopyle where cheap neoprene botties\gloves used to be plentiful for tourists to buy for cold weather rafting. Heck, just cutting up a beer coozie would probably work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: pan cover

Typically, a leather hood call a cows knee is used to cover the whole lock, and tether to the triggerguard. It pushes off of the lock for firing. Some used a bread loaf wrapper slipped over the gun. And slide it to the wrist to shoot.

A frizzen cover is a tad more than that, it is also used as a hammerstall. Pulling a leather stall off before shooting is quieter than the CLICK of going from the safe/half cock to the firing/full cock position. And is thick enough for any unintended trigger pull to not make it go boom!

Can the neoprene take the beating of a flint without penetrating to the frizzen?

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would glue two layers back to back to be sure. pretty tuff stuff. Trick to making stuff out of neoprene is to find some that only has cloth backing on one side so that you can use glue to butt edges together and cut strips to glue on for seams. Tolulene based contact cement works. Cloth both sides = sewing and heat tape as the glue does not adhere well to the cloth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 11:19 AM

Guys have used sandwich bags, just split the sides, seal the bottom! I like a cows knee, have several and my favorite is made by grey bear leather.

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBruin
...and my favorite is made by grey bear leather.

Haven't grabbed one of his knees yet, but my bag and stall both have the GB symbol. Jack's Dad does some fine work!

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Heck, just cutting up a beer coozie would probably work
NEVER cut up a beer coozie.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

Drink the beer first!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 12:24 PM
New Arrival

Cut the toe out of a heavy wool sock works great
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 02:13 PM
dce
Sage

I have one of those big plastic covers with a molded top that goes over the frizzen.I sealed the inside with window insulation and it's pretty water tight.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
I have one of those big plastic covers with a molded top that goes over the frizzen.I sealed the inside with window insulation and it's pretty water tight.
We had a couple of those around back in the '80s. I shot at a deer with one on once, and will never use one again. Somewhere between me cocking the hammer and taking the shot, the top came back over the lock. It didn't close, but it was over enough that most of the flash came out the bottom, right where my hand was! Not only did I miss the deer, but I burned the back of my hand a bit! I didn't toss it off the mountain, wanted to, but it got tossed in the trash when we got home that night!

Been using a leather one since, and have had little to no problems with moisture.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page