firestorm .50 cal load? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

firestorm .50 cal load?

Have a firestorm flintlock 50 cal purchased around 2000. I do not know the twist (1:48?). I have 295gr powerbelts, 44cal 240gr hornady XTPs, green and black sabots (difference?), pyrodex pellets, Goex FFg and FFFFg. I also have an assortment of other stuff like bore butter, etc...
I never get around to shooting the thing earlier in the year, but I have a few tags yet to fill unless I want to become a vegetarian.
Kind of a newbie to the smoke pole and have had this gun for about 7-8 years but doubt I have fired it 30 times.
I'm just wondering if anyone has a pet load for the firestorm (and hopefully something I have will work). I have been using 90-100gr FFg with FFFg in the pan. The sabots are hard to load after a shot or two. The powerbelts may be "tumbling" if i remeber right from last time I shot it. I could always hit a paper plate off hand at 50 yards so I said good enough and that was as far as I feel comfortable taking a shot. Buddy says he "tunes" his and 5-10 grains will make a difference in accuracy? I'm going to get out the sand bags and see what happens on paper. Just trying to get suggestions\starting point to save me some time.
Also, do you guys find a difference between a clean or dirty barrel? Should I use some kind of lube on a clean barrel or in-between shots with the powerbelts\sabots? I shoot it a couple of times then clean it and go hunting and have never shot it enough to know if there is a difference between clean or dirty. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: firestorm .50 cal load?

I use 100 grains of 3f (GOEX) in the barrel followed by 245grain TC shockwaves. My pan is charged with 4f. I usually swab with the TC cleaner in between shots.

For those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They will soar on wings as eagles..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 11:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

im shooting 90 grains of 2f or 90 grains of 3f in the barrel with the 230 gr hornady 44 cal bullets with the black sabot..4 f in the pan...I swab after every shot even when hunting unless I need a quick follow up.i have found that the gun shoots more consistent when I do this every time I shoot.but be sure to use a dry patch after swabbing so you get all the moisture out of the barrel so it dosent get your powder wet..

I have found that with the 2f powder when shooting in the snow with 100 grains in the barrel that all the powder dosent get burnt and a lot of excess is laying in the snow...even with 90 grains it has some unused powder in the snow..the short barrel of the firestorm is the cause of this..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 12:09 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use 100 grains 777 3f loose powder and 245gr powerbelt hollow point.
Wipe lightly with bore butter on plastic before loading.
This reloads easily without cleaning between shots and only needs a wet and dry patch down the barrel to clean.
I use 4f in the pan and ignition is quick.
The only problem I've had is the 777 is so fine I have to put a nipple pick in the touch hole while I'm loading to keep it from coming out
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 01:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

100 grains of Goex FF followed by a 245 gr powerbelt
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

looks like one of the common themes is the lighter bullet than the 295gr powerbelt areo-tips that I prefered over the sabots due to ease of loading. 1:48 twist might not be fast enough to stabilize the heavier bullet thus I was getting tumbling? Have to go shopping for some 245s on the way home. Any preference on the powerbelts between hollow points or areo-tips?
Also, is there a difference between the black and green sabots I have for the 44 cal hornady XTPs? I bought both TC and Hornady and one brand had a color, and the other the different color. Same bullet. Mixed them up so don't remember which came with which but just confused about the color. Are they different diameters?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

i think the other thread on 1:48\powerbelts and the replies here will get me going, thanks.
Still confused about sabot colors.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have the black sabots and I told you wrong in my earlier post..im shooting the 45 cal bullets..and using the black sabots..i think the green may be for your 44 cal bullets...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowns
i think the other thread on 1:48\powerbelts and the replies here will get me going, thanks.
Still confused about sabot colors.
Here is the place to see what the SABOT COLOR MEANS

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 03:42 PM

Simply my take on it, but I think if you are using 90-100 gr. of 2F in the pipe, you are hitting on the heavy end of a charge load for a 50 cal. I load 80 gr of 2F, but I'm shooting PRB's too. Also, though 3F will be less succeptible to dampen in the pan compared to 4F, I think 4F may give you a better chance of proper ignition consistently... especially on a "dry"/low humidity type of day. Guess it's all preference.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page