just got a tc hawkens flintlock a few questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

just got a tc hawkens flintlock a few questions

I just got a tc hawkens basically brand new for 240 it's a 45 cal. My question is what type of black powder and should I shoot sabots or a ball and can you use pellet powder?

Vegetarians are cool All I eat are vegetarians except for the occasional mountain lion steak -Nugent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 10:26 PM

Re: just got a tc hawkens flintlock a few questions

Flintlock or percussion? For flint, black powder all the way. And most guys will tell you that round balls kill just as easy as saboted bullets and are cheaper Best I can suggest is shoot both and see what you are more comfortable with. 3f black powder down the barrel, 3 or 4f in the pan for the 45 should do ya fine!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 10:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

You got a deal! Black powder for sure. You may want to try PowerBelt bullets. They are easy to load and seem to shoot pretty well for me but they are expensive. Gander Mt had some in Chambersburg but no 54s. Cabelas had them on sale though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobeagle12
Flintlock or percussion? For flint, black powder all the way. And most guys will tell you that round balls kill just as easy as saboted bullets and are cheaper Best I can suggest is shoot both and see what you are more comfortable with. 3f black powder down the barrel, 3 or 4f in the pan for the 45 should do ya fine!
Flint lock it's a beautiful gun and ok sounds good I'll just buy some cheap stuff and try it so 3f black powder?

Vegetarians are cool All I eat are vegetarians except for the occasional mountain lion steak -Nugent
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

also whats a good starter kit I need all of my loading tools and accessories?

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 10:53 PM

That would be what I would use. When I shot my 45, I used .440 round balls and 70 grains of 3f black powder. Worked very well for me. I know it's kinda short notice for the season but just experiment and good luck!

Edit: Starter kit... I don't think I would go with a starter kit. Usually the stuff that comes in the kits can be found for a reasonable price at better quality. Read up on the different things you will need and piece yourself together a kit. Most of my stuff is homemade. My short starter, my bags, turkey call cases for flint holders, a safety pin for a vent pick. The only thing I think I really purchased were 50 cal speed loaders and my flask.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobeagle12
That would be what I would use. When I shot my 45, I used .440 round balls and 70 grains of 3f black powder. Worked very well for me. I know it's kinda short notice for the season but just experiment and good luck!

Edit: Starter kit... I don't think I would go with a starter kit. Usually the stuff that comes in the kits can be found for a reasonable price at better quality. Read up on the different things you will need and piece yourself together a kit. Most of my stuff is homemade. My short starter, my bags, turkey call cases for flint holders, a safety pin for a vent pick. The only thing I think I really purchased were 50 cal speed loaders and my flask.
Ok thanks I really appreciate it.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 11:07 PM

Yep, You got Yourself a deal !! I`ve shot a few Deer with My.45 and none went far. I used 60grs. Of 3F. My Grandson started out going to M`loader shoots using a Percussion T/C Hawken in .45. very accurate Gun.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron pa
Yep, You got Yourself a deal !! I`ve shot a few Deer with My.45 and none went far. I used 60grs. Of 3F. My Grandson started out going to M`loader shoots using a Percussion T/C Hawken in .45. very accurate Gun.
Well this is my first time using a muzzleloader I cant wait to try it.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was wondering about putting a fiber optic front sight on my gun I currently just have a black dove tail no white bead or anything and honestly it drives me nuts because its just all black lol. What are some good sights to put on the gun I might just take a paint pent and put a red dot on it for know but I want to look into sights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page