Flintlock season bag limit??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Flintlock season bag limit???

OK, so it's been many years since I actually read the entire hunting digest, since many areas did not matter to me, like late season flintlock bag limits. I was always under the impression that PA was a one buck only state and an antlerless tag was needed for each doe shot.

I filled my buck tag that came with the general license during rifle season. I applied for, and received on doe tag that has not been filled yet..........

On page 11 of the digest, it states;

DEER, ANTERED or ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 26-JAN. 10, 2015. One antlered or antlerless deer with general license and muzzleloader license, plus an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

Is it just me, or does that make it sound like I can shoot another buck and a doe or two more does?
One buck or doe with my general license & muzzleloader stamp, plus one doe with my doe tag??

It really did used to be simple............How many deer can I legally shoot????????

I kill because I'm hunting, but killing is not the reason I go hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Flintlock season bag limit???

one buck a year max, no matter what weapon

one doe a year max, no matter what weapon, per doe permit

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 06:59 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

The only thing different with flintlock season is that you may choose to use your antlered deer tag (which says "antlered deer or flintlock tag" on it) for an antlerless deer, and you may do so anywhere, statewide. That may ONLY be done with a flintlock and during late flintlock season. Not with a bow in late archery, not with a flintlock any other time...only with a flintlock, and only in the late flintlock-only season.

Other than that, all other rules are the same as they are for the rest of the deer seasons. One buck, if you haven't used your buck tag already, and one doe per antlerless permit you have, and only in the specified WMU for each permit.

So, for example, I have used my buck tag this year, so I may hunt with my flintlock in WMU 5C, where I have a few antlerless tag. I may NOT hunt with my flintlock, nor my bow, in ANY other WMU, as I have no valid deer tag outside of WMU 5C.

If I had not used my buck tag, I could hunt with my flintlock anywhere in the state, and shoot either a buck or a doe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 07:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

DEER, ANTERED or ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 26-JAN. 10, 2015.<span style="font-weight: bold"> One antlered or antlerless deer with general license and muzzleloader license,</span>Means one (1) antlered or antlerless deer with the tag that comes with your general lic as long as you have a ML lic and are hunting in FL season.
<span style="font-weight: bold">plus an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.</span>
1 doe per permit.

So you can legally take a antlered or antlerless deer with you general (buck) tag, and one antlerless with the doe tag. Total of two (2)

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

This is great info. I was not lucky enough to draw an antlerless tag for my WMU. Sounds like I can still harvest one with my Flintlock.

A promise made is a debt unpaid.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 08:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Like the other poster said, an unused "buck" tag can be used to take a buck in flintlock season or an antlerless deer in any WMU.

I didn't fill my buck tag, so I can use my flintlock to take a buck or use it to take an antlerless deer anywhere.

If I fill my buck tag in flintlock season, I can still take an antlerless deer in 3B, since I have an unfilled tag for that WMU.

If I didn't have this tag and used my "buck" tag for a flintlock buck or antlerless deer, my season would be over.

Steve
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks guys, that's what I always thought, but they sure got it worded so it's not very clear.........

I kill because I'm hunting, but killing is not the reason I go hunting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page