Muzzeloaders ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Muzzeloaders ?

I have never shot one before, but I think they would be neat.Are muzzeloaders at all like rifles, because if so I would like to get more time in the woods being able to hunt deer.(Never thought about archery, because I have little talent at shooting them. But I would need to practice, like everything to get good.)If they are similar, what would be a good muzzeloader (flintlock of inline) for a 13 year old kid?

,Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:52 PM
Wiz

Re: Muzzeloaders ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin11
I have never shot one before, but I think they would be neat.Are muzzeloaders at all like rifles, because if so I would like to get more time in the woods being able to hunt deer.(Never thought about archery, because I have little talent at shooting them. But I would need to practice, like everything to get good.)If they are similar, what would be a good muzzeloader (flintlock of inline) for a 13 year old kid?

,Thanks
For the most part they are like a rifle. It takes a little time to get used to the flash out of the side of our eye and you have to pay attention to how you load it to get good precision but its a lot of fun.

There are a number of good MLs on the market. CVA, Thompson, Traditions, Lyman (I'm sure there are others) are just a few. I have a Thompson PA Hunter rifle that works pretty well. I have yet to kill a deer with it but have shot at 2 and tried to shoot at another on a very rainy day. My dad has a CVA Hawken. Parts for these are usually pretty easy to get if you need them but some of them are a bit harder to get.

Of course, once you get the ML, there is a lot of other essential gear needed for loading it and cleaning but that is a big part of the fun.

I really enjoyed the PA ML season when I lived there but don't get to hunt it anymore because I moved out of state and can't get up there for it anymore.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:19 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The best advice I can give you is to take a ride to Dixons in Kempton pa. It may be one of the best shops in the country and they will answer any and all questions you have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

If you are looking for more time in the woods, buy a flintlock over an inline, as you can hunt the early and late season both with it. Right now, I think the Lyman guns are about as good a production rifle as you can get. Thompson Center quit making their flintlock line, so if you can get one of them, it will be used.

There is no "X" in my bow!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 03:08 AM
Sage

You can also go to Fort Chambers across from gander mountain in Chambersburg. Jim will help you ever step of the way.

He was building his grand daughter a rifle earlier this summer. He is very knowledgeable with getting kids into the black powder sports. He has been in the business since the 70's.

Dixon's is awesome, just far more of a trip coming from 5A.

Fort Chambers Black Powder Gun Shop

Address: 3292 Black Gap Road, Chambersburg, PA 17202

Phone717) 263-2223

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page